Zobi1

Guide Suggestion / Newburyport or Plum Island

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Anyone have a suggestion for targeting stripers (first choice would be on the fly) somewhere near Newburyport/Plum Island area of MA? I'm looking to fill a half day while the family is off doing whatever. I'm open to other suggestions for going inland if you have them.

thanks!

Capt. Barry Clemson.  Decades  of PI, Merrimack, Cape Ann experience, line class records, respect of other guides.  He fishes out of Perley's Marina in Rowley.  Barry's great.  1-603-534-0411

Thanks all for the info!

I don’t begrudge them their pricing, but it’s gotten out of my range I am finding! Getting a guide has become a rich man’s game I guess.

53 mins ago, Zobi1 said:

Thanks all for the info!

I don’t begrudge them their pricing, but it’s gotten out of my range I am finding! Getting a guide has become a rich man’s game I guess.

What are talking ?

13 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

What are talking ?

$400 - $600 for half a day is steep for me. If that is what the market is bearing, more power to them. 

4 mins ago, Zobi1 said:

$400 - $600 for half a day is steep for me. If that is what the market is bearing, more power to them. 

That's steep for anyone. I paid less for a 1/2 day on a boat out of Kennebunkport a few years back.

A retired guide out of Essex Bay used to have very generous pricing, but he had a Lund for a boat and was receiving a pension.  When you factor in the cost of boat ownership (and the pre-and post-charter hours), prices are reasonable.  

28 mins ago, Captain Tuttle said:

A retired guide out of Essex Bay used to have very generous pricing, but he had a Lund for a boat and was receiving a pension.  When you factor in the cost of boat ownership (and the pre-and post-charter hours), prices are reasonable.  

Plus Capt. Kalil is wonderful guy!

Check in at Surfland when you get there.   They may have some ideas for you.  

anyone that pays 500$ just to fish half a day needs there head examined....no offense...i get it gas is expensive but not 500 a head expensive....come on now...

Not easy being a fishing  guide.  It's a very short season.  New boats are wicked expensive..A 20' CC costs $60K these days.  That's  before a trailer and electronics.  Factor in gear costs, license fees, insurance, ETC. Plus the actual  half day is way longer then just 4 hours for the captain. Up early preparing for the trip.  Afterwards you have to clean the boat and gear, re-fuel, plan for the next trip.  It's long and stressful as well. There is no company 401K  or corporate medical plan. When I had my boat and was taking out friends, I spent hours researching my game plan. I spent hours cleaning up afterwards.  I wanted them to have the best possible trip and I was not getting payed..:)