TheJasonO

NJ guy moving to Nor Cal

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Moving to Northern California and it looks like I'll still be able to go after those bass.  Any decent areas?  Mainly bay? Surf? River?  I've fished the shore line of NJ basically my entire life along with parts or the Chesapeake Bay in MD.  I guess i should really get after is this fall before I move.  Headed to CA in February.  

Any and all insights greatly appreciated.  Not asking for anyone to give away their "spot", just some tips on what to expect.  Thanks.

That's a big general area to be covering, but there is Surf fishing in SF and Bay fishing in SF, Sacramento has freshwater river fishing for Stripers as well.  3-4Hrs driving in between them all. 

Yea that’s probably where I’ll be living, or around there. Fairfield, Vacaville, or somewhere close to that. I’d imagine I’d be doing a lot of driving towards San Fran to fish. 

2 hours ago, norcalkat said:

That's a big general area to be covering, but there is Surf fishing in SF and Bay fishing in SF, Sacramento has freshwater river fishing for Stripers as well.  3-4Hrs driving in between them all. 

I’m used to driving an hour to get where I need to be but beggars can’t be choosers. Just glad I’ll still be able to fish for these. Haven’t really looked up regs out that way yet. A lot of top water action for pacific stripers? I get them occasionally in the surf and bays on poppers out in NJ but I consider bucktails my bread and butter.

10 hours ago, TheJasonO said:

A lot of top water action for pacific stripers? 

We get them up on top, especially June-September. But be ready for stock shock, we don't even have 1/1000th of the number of fish you had on the Jersey shores, so be prepared to work really hard for very few fish in comparison. Look on the bright side though, you traded fluke for halibut, searobins & Porgy for Rock cod & Ling cod, Atlantic for King Chinook Salmon & Bulls for GWSs, alot of upgrades there in my opinion. Welcome to the West Coast, JasonO!  

12 hours ago, Linesideslayer said:

We get them up on top, especially June-September. But be ready for stock shock, we don't even have 1/1000th of the number of fish you had on the Jersey shores, so be prepared to work really hard for very few fish in comparison. Look on the bright side though, you traded fluke for halibut, searobins & Porgy for Rock cod & Ling cod, Atlantic for King Chinook Salmon & Bulls for GWSs, alot of upgrades there in my opinion. Welcome to the West Coast, JasonO!  

I tell ya what, those halibut are like dinosaur fluke. Caught a bunch up in Alaska in 2016 and damn do they taste just as good if not better. It’s like pulling teeth just to get a keeper out here at 18” some days.  Really looking forward to coming out that way. Didn’t really have a choice of where to move due to the whole service thing but I’d say I lucked out. Thinking my 6500 spinfisher and conflict2 lc will fit in just fine. 

Welcome to the land of fruits and nuts!

(You’ll actually be more in the land of nuts. The land of fruits is farther south....)

I tried to live in Ocean Beach SF - too many nuts for me and traffic. If you dont like it you can always come back I went to NH insteadof NJ upon return east.  Striped bass are in all the deep holes along ocean beach. Park at Taraval and look for a deep hole from the dune tops. 

49 mins ago, Food said:

Welcome to the Cali, hope you don't get sticker shock when you see home or rental prices.  Good luck.

Moving from one expensive place to another, more expensive place. As long as I have my house rented out here in NJ I’ll make due. 

35 mins ago, TheJasonO said:

Moving from one expensive place to another, more expensive place. As long as I have my house rented out here in NJ I’ll make due. 

That’s good to hear. It’s a great place and you’ll figure that out pretty quick.