Kanine Kleenup

A couple Mackerel questions

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

39 mins ago, Searobin said:

Assuming non impact to fish catching ability? TY.

Don't understand what you are trying to say.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Don't understand what you are trying to say.

Sorry, not a well written question. Asking if the karo syrup leaves the mackerel all sticky or scares the stripers off by smell.

I’d assume it’s okay based on your recommendation but just confirming.

Edited by Searobin

50 mins ago, Searobin said:

Sorry, not a well written question. Asking if the karo syrup leaves the mackerel all sticky or scares the stripers off by smell.

I’d assume it’s okay based on your recommendation but just confirming.

Aha! Gotcha. Well I never used them for striper bait, they were tuna bait. Yes there is some stickiness factor to the thawed macks until they went into the water, but they looked like they just came out of the water. If you're going to use them for striper bait, it might be a good idea to rig them before you freeze them.

I went to Ireland 2 years ago! I saw people catching mackerel off the bridge. I stopped and chatted.  They love to eat Mack’s!  Then I showed them what we do with Mack’s over here. Lol 

Was tuna fishing this past Saturday on the SE corner of Stelwagen.  The Macs were so big, I was catching them on the tuna sized RonZ that I was throwing!  Amazing amount of bait out there.

Just now, willcodfish said:

Wrap in foil with crushed red pepper olive oil red wine vinegar black pepper salt onions and green peppers throw in oven for 45 mins or so at 400 degrees and you'll have a new fav.dish for Mack's

Also crushed garlic

Osprey seem to have quite a taste for raw mackerel. I watched 3 osprey nail mackerel non stop for the better part of an hour and a half today. Amazing display. They almost never missed.

I’m not a fan of eating oily fish but I absolutely love mackerel fresh caught when I bleed them out immediately on the beach and put them on ice.  Simmer them whole(gutted of course), with fresh garlic, a can of whole tomatoes, onions and some oregano, salt and pepper.  Goes great with a hearty beer.  Salut

2 hours ago, greenhornet73 said:

I’m not a fan of eating oily fish but I absolutely love mackerel fresh caught when I bleed them out immediately on the beach and put them on ice.  Simmer them whole(gutted of course), with fresh garlic, a can of whole tomatoes, onions and some oregano, salt and pepper.  Goes great with a hearty beer.  Salut

That's just the way my parents used to make them. :agree: