Kanine Kleenup

A couple Mackerel questions

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I'm sure you're correct.  Since I too lack anything more muscular than a home freezer, I'd never make sushi or sashimi out of any fish that I caught.  My fish get cooked. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I grew up in the Mediterranean where we would eat small fish whole grilled, including mackerel. Larger fish fillets were a luxury. I see why people don’t want to deal with picking bones off a small oily fish, but the fact is that that fresh ocean mackerel is probably healthier than most farm-raised or imported seafood available in the supermarket.

Edited by tj7501

Just get them straight onto ice, and gut or fillet ASAP. They are not dissimilar to bluefish, so the same rules apply. I've frozen them for later, which has worked about as well as any fish, other than haddock, which freeze remarkably well.

KK - As we talked about, I am one that likes my fish to actually taste like fish, so..........

I have had them a few times baked. Forget how exactly I did it, but they were quite good.

I love them smoked. when smoking, I have found it best to gut them and remove the gills but leave them whole head on otherwise, and smoke them by hanging them vertically in a smoker. You get better and more even "cooking" and smoke distribution than doing them as fillets.

And as was said, they have to be very fresh, not so much for the taste, but for the texture, as mackerel tend to get mushy with age.

Mackerel Tinker size or less Cleaned and Butterflied Make for some good eating The smaller the size the less taste you will have of the rich oil and in fact are a little sweet if cooked right as mentioned

13 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Mackerel Tinker size or less Cleaned and Butterflied Make for some good eating The smaller the size the less taste you will have of the rich oil and in fact are a little sweet if cooked right as mentioned

^^^^ what he said...….years back I butterflied the tinker mackerel and broiled them. 

26 mins ago, Joe G said:

years back I butterflied the tinker mackerel and broiled them. 

I searched and found what I did, pretty much the same:

"I have just gutted them, drizzled the cavity with olive oil, salt and pepper, and stuffed it with some sliced onions and lemons, and then baked/broiled."

14 hours ago, jmarino1432 said:

They make a decent sashimi when they get big enough 

High end sushi restaurants use mackerel as sashimi but i always found it to be way too oily for my taste I always swapped out for broiled unagi(eel) at my fav sushi joint.  NH angler or anyone in the north mass/NH/maine coast line area can you sabiki rig for mackerel from the shore or from bridges I don't boat fish....

I did not find any this am at the canal.. 1 million yesterday...

think the ones in really canal will bite a sabiki  rig? Or are they too busy running from the bass..

They will eat a Sabiki. Cut one down to 3 hooks if casting and snap on a 1 oz tin or kastmaster. Throw it out there and jig it just enough to keep it out of the riprap. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Anyone have a better way to freeze? Tried vacuum sealing a bunch but the vacuum seal seemed to suck a little bit of the blood so not sure how good they will keep for bait.

Will report back after I thaw and use.

Think I read a while back about kosher salt, adding saltwater, and some other ideas but just trying to figure out what keeps them the freshest.

Edited by Searobin

30 mins ago, Searobin said:

Anyone have a better way to freeze? Tried vacuum sealing a bunch but the vacuum seal seemed to suck a little bit of the blood so not sure how good they will keep for bait.

Will report back after I thaw and use.

Think I read a while back about kosher salt, adding saltwater, and some other ideas but just trying to figure out what keeps them the freshest.

Dip them in Karo syrup and freeze them individually on cookie sheets before you put them in a plastic bag and into long term freezer storage. 

1 hour ago, MakoMike said:

Dip them in Karo syrup and freeze them individually on cookie sheets before you put them in a plastic bag and into long term freezer storage. 

Assuming non impact to fish catching ability? TY.