bob_G

Recent EPO canal bust

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Sorry, but I'm unable to post the link from my phone.

"On 8/4/2019 Ma EPOs conducted an ununiformed plain clothes investigation. It ran at night, into Sunday morning. 

Fifty (50) illegal stripers were confiscated, and fines over $8000 were awarded. One arrest was made."

Great work Ma EPOs. :clap: But as we all know, this us a drop in the bucket. Many of us who fish only nights see this night after night.  If you see poaching, report it. Eventually these guys will get them.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I read that article. It's great news and I'm happy they did something. But this should be done a minimum of every weekend. Not once a year! 

Needless to say I'm glad they fined people and even made an arrest. It's the only way this behavior is going to stopped. 

Edited by Peelin' Drag
needed to add

42 mins ago, bob_G said:

Many of us who fish only nights see this night after night.  If you see poaching, report it. Eventually these guys will get them.

Considering how bad that canal has become over the last few years, and that certain tides produce better than others, and when those tides coincide with the weekend, the crowds are huge, and only 3, 4 months of the year are when the fish are here in numbers, and comm season is pretty short, I'm surprised the EPOs, the ACOE and the Bourne & Sandwich police haven't decided to really crack down when the window of opportunity to police the bad behavior is really obvious.

All they need is a tide chart, a calendar and a Facebook account.

32 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Considering how bad that canal has become over the last few years, and that certain tides produce better than others, and when those tides coincide with the weekend, the crowds are huge, and only 3, 4 months of the year are when the fish are here in numbers, and comm season is pretty short, I'm surprised the EPOs, the ACOE and the Bourne & Sandwich police haven't decided to really crack down when the window of opportunity to police the bad behavior is really obvious.

All they need is a tide chart, a calendar and a Facebook account.

Something I and others have been saying for years. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) about how little some of the EPOs know about prime Canal fishing tides. 

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Great work Ma EPOs. :clap: ...

Fine, and call me cynical,  but first let's see how this is ultimately adjudicated.  What you first see and hear is not always what you get.  

I know someone here will be looking at Falmouth District Court findings.  Hope they will jump in if the judgement is for a lesser amount.  

20 mins ago, Joe G said:

Fine, and call me cynical,  but first let's see how this is ultimately adjudicated.  What you first see and hear is not always what you get.  

I know someone here will be looking at Falmouth District Court findings.  Hope they will jump in if the judgement is for a lesser amount.  

Adjudicated? 

Most of us gave that up when we were kids.

Can anyone else pose link to article? I'm glad they are doing something. I wish we could go vigilante on these scumbags at times...20 of us with paintball guns sounds like a good idea to me. 

The article said 8000 dollars in fines were handed out; not that each person was being fined anywhere near that. My guess is 250 dollar fines for 30 or so people. That’s a slap on the wrist to most; especially if they were stacking for the next commercial day.

There were 50 illegal fish confiscated?!?!?  Holy crap idk if im just an idiot or oblivious but i never thought it was happening to that level. I havent ever really seen many illegal fishing activities, but im aware they happen of course. This is mind blowing to me that in one place and on one night there were 50 illegal fish confiscated. I want to know how many different people were involved. Hopefully it wasnt just one guy because if one guy can catch 50 fish even in the most epic of blitzes that means i really suck at fishing and should start golfing

29 mins ago, aglenn said:

There were 50 illegal fish confiscated?!?!?  Holy crap idk if im just an idiot or oblivious but i never thought it was happening to that level. I havent ever really seen many illegal fishing activities, but im aware they happen of course. This is mind blowing to me that in one place and on one night there were 50 illegal fish confiscated. I want to know how many different people were involved. Hopefully it wasnt just one guy because if one guy can catch 50 fish even in the most epic of blitzes that means i really suck at fishing and should start golfing

Could be comms stacking fish before midnight

Boats have been at a certain lot cape side, no doubt funneling bass to and fro all day. I saw an Instagram post, looked like a plain clothed officer was making an arrest, another element to keep these guys nervous 

Saw 2 EPO's making a bust at the Bournedale lot at around 8am this am, another EPO at halfway gate 5 minutes later, and saw a third one at another lot on the way home. Way to go boys, lovin the crackdown! :th::th: