hanlon-surf

finally getting back to it

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

...life

after what seems like forever i am finally getting a chance to get a line in the water as we are heading down to Salvo this coming Saturday. its crazy but with all that has been going on i havent even fished at all since my trip to the OBX back in early May. not even a local pond with the kids :/

i am an "old hat" when it comes to the summer surf game and im thinking im ready for it.  going to try targeting more flounder in the wash than ever before, and also going to try the drum in the sound. i feel like that will be the best chance for success

for those of you down there, is it they typical summer action, small blues, small spanish and a mix of small to medium fish on the bottom?

Posted (edited) · Report post

The inshore trout bite is really hot now.  Spanish on oceanside - some pompano. Most flounder I've heard about have been small. 

Edited by hhager23
correction

never really targeted trout

is this a small gulp on a light jig head kinda thing? maybe a top water "popping" hard bait?  if i were to go out for them right now, thats what i would throw. not sure why...

Most the inshore charters seem to throw the small gulp jig heads - so good guess!

Live shrimp or mud minnows also work. You could try something top side. I've seen some folk use spooks but I seem to get most hits 12-18" deep or when it first hits the water. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was a good bit south of Salvo, but I tried the "John Skinner" approach my first evening, and got two really small flounder.

Sort of knowing your arsenal from this site, you seem to have something for every fish that swims in the Hatteras Island waters.  I'd personally let the conditions tell you what to go after.  At least going off of experience myself. 

Seems like conditions change so quickly, that one species jumping in your lap this week, will be lockjaw next week.  The thing that I like the most about Hatteras Island, are the options available.  Miles of ocean and sound access.  Usually if one is rough going, it makes decent conditions for the other.  Or decent conditions for Oregon Inlet, or The Point or the jetties at Buxton.

Hopefully you get into some.  Sounds like you need some fishing!  Best therapy for me, by far.

BTW - Check out the "Onefish Twofish" Youtube channel.  They are a couple that fish the OBX a good bit.  They will show how to catch trout.  Probably something that you have done before.  Pretty simple.  Jig + Gulp.  Add popping cork or don't.  Live finger mullet/shrimp/mud minnow fished the same way.

Edited by Porktown

rodger that on the gulp

definitely packing lighter for this trip. bringing the old 8' Star Stellar 3/4-2 as experience has shown it to be more productive at this time than the heaver

Spent some time out front today. The conditions were calm but not “lake calm” as oft happens in summer. 3oz easily held bottom as did a 2oz “hurricane.”  

I split time soaking and throwing but had the most action soaking. 2 ok whiting, 2 small ones and 2 small pompano. 

I threw row the “big rod” with a large mullet chunk on a 7/0 circle and - nothing. Not surprising as if it hit I would have led with that ;)

as I said I threw some lures. Sting Silvers, ESs etc along with the tandem gulp rig for flounder. The flounder rig got a ton of action but not from flounder (the tails weren’t eaten) so whatever it was it was small enough to pull but not wreck the baits. 

Hope to get out tomorrow then a few more times this week and make one trip to the sound in the evening. Hatteras Jack had some great bait so confidence is high

Very calm out front today 

spent most of the time with my youngest building sandcastles (it’s her 6th birthday so it’s her day) but I did manage a small pompano 

big day planned for tomorrow 

ACF46CBA-6B57-42BB-BF78-7E0445C92AA6.jpeg

Weather looks good for sound tomorrow evening. Look for a SW wind and on the sound. Go right before dusk. Throw out some mullet or bunker, if the pin fish eat you up, wait until that settles and if all is quiet the drum will come in looking for the bait fish, should last about an hour or so then head to the Waves Deli for a sandwich for dinner.

Yea buddy. Happy to hear the wind is forecast to change. From past experience I know that wind is key. Especially if you don’t want to be eaten alive by mosquitoes and flys 

Spent 4 hours out front this morning. Lots of small stuff in the wash. Missed one really nice blue (guessing 3+ pounds) on pink/white ES. got him all the way in and he shook off in the last wave. Oh well

gonna get some fresh bait and get ready for some action in the sound tonight 

best of all, today was the first time I fished out front with my oldest daughter. Can’t ask for much more, fish or no fish

F35D08D4-F5E7-4B70-B56A-71EFEA98CAC0.jpeg

00CFAC4F-1DBC-4C12-96E7-EF78DC15EA7A.jpeg

That is great! Something you will both always remember.

My oldest caught her first fish (a kingfish) off the Hatteras Pier. We cooked it up on a hot plate in the Seagull Motel. Isabel erased most of that but the memories. 

Spent a good deal of time out front today, and caught a bunch of small to medium bottom fish. Croaker, whiteing, pompano, you name it, there were as many as you wanted to catch. Using a “river rig” I even had a few doubles. 

I did throw many lures (ESs, gold spoons etc) along with the heaver baited with cut mullet and didn’t get any action. 

If the rain holds off and the wind picks up a bit I’ll hit up the sound tonight