coastalfreak

Nice Reel vs. Nice Rod

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Assuming that you were in the craps financially, would you rather have a nice reel and a cheap rod or vice versa? I read a spotted trout article where it said that at least for trout fishing, a nice rod is MUCH more important than a nice reel. 

Curious what you guys think on this.

I'd go with nicer reel hands down. I don't think you need to spend more than $150 on a spinner to get a very decent reel that with proper care will last many years. There are a ton of rods from makers like Star, Daiwa, Penn and Tsunami that perform very well for short money. IMO a reel does more than hold line and a smooth drag is worth it's weight in gold. You can skimp on a lot of things in this sport but a reel would be dead last on my list.

I like new rods and old reels.  New materials for higher end rods make them much lighter and have much improved performance for most applications over cheaper rods.   To save money i would buy older (1970s-1980s vintage) lightly used USA made penn reels that are made to last a life time with proper care. Their only down side is they are heavier than current high dollar reels because they are all metal with brass gears.  To offset the weight I down size the reels a notch. For example 550ss on 10’ 6” rod. 

Really depends on what you’re doing. Surfcasting for stripers? I’d prefer a nice rod. Tuna fishing? That reel better have an ultra smooth, strong drag.

That being said, I think the differences between a cheap rod and a world class rod are significantly less than that of a cheap reel and a world class reel.

Edited by C.Robin

5 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Really depends on what you’re doing. Surfcasting for stripers? I’d prefer a nice rod. Tuna fishing? That reel better have an ultra smooth, strong drag.

That being said, I think the differences between a cheap rod and a world class rod are significantly less than that of a cheap reel and a world class reel.

Very well said.

Staying on the cheaper side (we're in the craps financially per the OP), I'd rather have $100 Battle or BG on a $40 Ugly Stick, than have a $40 reel on a $100 rod.