Captain Tuttle

Harbor Master to the Rescue

15 posts in this topic

I passed a guy in the mooring field who had tied himself mid-kayak to a mooring.   He ended up flipping and had to be rescued by the harbormaster.  It was either an outback or a revo.  (I hope he didn't lose his mirage drive, but I didn't see it on the dock with his kayak.)  My experience tying on to something is that it changes your kayak's center of gravity for the worse and you are better off not doing it.  Any suggestions for the kayak angler who wants to stay in one spot?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

I passed a guy in the mooring field who had tied himself mid-kayak to a mooring.   He ended up flipping and had to be rescued by the harbormaster.  It was either an outback or a revo.  (I hope he didn't lose his mirage drive, but I didn't see it on the dock with his kayak.)  My experience tying on to something is that it changes your kayak's center of gravity for the worse and you are better off not doing it.  Any suggestions for the kayak angler who wants to stay in one spot? 

Sure, an anchor and trolley properly deployed so the line is off the end of boat not the gunwale, with enough line out of course. A short anchor line will tend to pull your bow down if there's heavy current. You should really have out at least three to four times your depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, gellfex said:

Sure, an anchor and trolley properly deployed so the line is off the end of boat not the gunwale, with enough line out of course. A short anchor line will tend to pull your bow down if there's heavy current. You should really have out at least three to four times your depth.

So, same rules as a boat.  Riddle me this Gellflex, what happens when anchored in a current and a wake comes broadside?  Does the kayak bounce over it as usual or does the tension from the anchor line make taking the wake more problematic?  Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I will preface this by saying I do not use an anchor with my kayak. I suspect the scenario you described could be problematic. I used to use an anchor in my canoe

in lakes. Not places with current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

you make an anchor trolley thats connected at the bow and stern with bungees and a ring in the middle that can be easily moved around.  then you loop the anchor line through and tie it off somewhere near you where you can quickly undo it and disconnect quickly.  that being said ive never used my anchor trolley for anything except holding a flowtroll with shiners or an eel bag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

So, same rules as a boat.  Riddle me this Gellflex, what happens when anchored in a current and a wake comes broadside?  Does the kayak bounce over it as usual or does the tension from the anchor line make taking the wake more problematic?  Thanks.

No, I've never noticed a problem with wakes, but as an old whitewater guy, waves probably bother me less than some. I guess I've often anchored in currents up to 1 mph, and a couple of times in at least 2 mph.  The times I anchor are for bottom fishing tog and porgy, or sometimes just not to continue drifting while fluking when I want to take a break or screw with tackle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks all.  There is a spot where I've marked lunkers on an outgoing tide.  I'd like to fish it by kayak, but the current can really rip.  I would try to fish it when boat traffic is non-existent.  Tethering to the structure would be ideal.  A quick-release rig might work.  If not, I may get wet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back when Barrell used to post here, he'd regularly warn about the dangers of anchoring a kayak in current.  A big boat swell coupled with a swift current can swamp you in a second.  It's generally much safer to attach above the water line in moving current.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atv223 said:

Back when Barrell used to post here, he'd regularly warn about the dangers of anchoring a kayak in current.  A big boat swell coupled with a swift current can swamp you in a second.  It's generally much safer to attach above the water line in moving current.

Agreed.  Connecting a line to structure above the waterline with some elasticity and a quick release sounds optimal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, atv223 said:

Back when Barrell used to post here, he'd regularly warn about the dangers of anchoring a kayak in current.  A big boat swell coupled with a swift current can swamp you in a second.  It's generally much safer to attach above the water line in moving current.

I remember Barrell warning about anchoring in current with heavy seaweed.  He warned that seaweed buildup on the line could create more drag pulling the kayak down or make pulling the anchor  up more difficult and dangerous.  Ive thought about using a drift sock but havent had a need for an anchor personally.  Only time id use one is if i were a gnarly kayak scuba diver/spear fisher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, atv223 said:

Back when Barrell used to post here, he'd regularly warn about the dangers of anchoring a kayak in current.  A big boat swell coupled with a swift current can swamp you in a second.  It's generally much safer to attach above the water line in moving current.

I guess once you retire, you retire from everything :dismay: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BillZ said:

I guess once you retire, you retire from everything :dismay: 

I’ve met him a few times. Great guy and a real hustler in business.  I think a big reason he posted here was to stay connected to his customer base. Now he’s just kickin’ it in Florida catching and eating lobsters. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a trash bag wrap around my anchor  line on the Lehigh River in Pa. on my first kayak which  was looped on the bow not on a trolley, Ocean Kayak Trident 11 the bow went  under so fast and kayak was awash instantly, then anchor pulled free, I had the line tied off by me but I was going in the water before I could react, thank God anchor pulled in seconds. Friends around me thought  I was doing  some kind of stunt trick until they saw  my face and the trash bag. I put an anchor trolley on my next kayak but never used it. It happened so quick, so I have not seen a reason for myself to ever anchor in current again, I really have not anchored the way I fish, and that anchor trolley snagged a few hooks but was never used!.....Jack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.