Wilgabeast

surf fishing for sharks

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Look anyone can go out and catch these things. I HIGHLY recommend that unless you know what you are doing or can go with someone who does!!!!

Might sound like a fun idea but WTF are you gonna do with a 200 lb shark when you catch the damn thing. Are you prepared to be able to land this fish in a timely manner that does not do harm to the fish? What happens when you have to take the hook out? What are you going to do, just cut the hook and leave it in the poor fishes mouth to rot out in 2 years!!!  These hooks just don’t fall out within a week, I know because I have had to take a few hooks out of sharks mouths that were rusted but have not fallen out. It did a number on their mouths 

If you want to go, find someone experienced who will take you and learn from them. Everyone who looks into doing this and they fish for stripers. Let me ask you one question 

if you caught a striper and released it would you just cut the line and leave the plug in it’s mouth???  

If no, then get in the water and  be prepared to take a hook out of something like this 

6AD8C77C-ABFF-47B1-95BB-4A20ECD8F5FE.jpeg

Edited by Dthfrmabove

8 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

Me and him were fishing together just to cover more water . Where would be more reasonable area to try ? He moved here from north Carolina and did lots of big shark fishing down there so he knows what he's doing just not locations . I know there are sharks in that area I just need a little help.picking a better spot!

If you were on the right jetty fishing the beach the gate doesn’t close, then you guys were right next to  another guy who came with his wife and 2 kids. If you walked across the bridge then you did have the whole beach to yourself and I passed you when I was leaving either way you were in 5 ft of water. 

48 mins ago, Dthfrmabove said:

Look anyone can go out and catch these things. I HIGHLY recommend that unless you know what you are doing or can go with someone who does!!!!

Might sound like a fun idea but WTF are you gonna do with a 200 lb shark when you catch the damn thing. Are you prepared to be able to land this fish in a timely manner that does not do harm to the fish? What happens when you have to take the hook out? What are you going to do, just cut the hook and leave it in the poor fishes mouth to rot out in 2 years!!!  These hooks just don’t fall out within a week, I know because I have had to take a few hooks out of sharks mouths that were rusted but have not fallen out. It did a number on their mouths 

If you want to go, find someone experienced who will take you and learn from them. Everyone who looks into doing this and they fish for stripers. Let me ask you one question 

if you caught a striper and released it would you just cut the line and leave the plug in it’s mouth???  

If no, then get in the water and  be prepared to take a hook out of something like this 

6AD8C77C-ABFF-47B1-95BB-4A20ECD8F5FE.jpeg

I agree that's why I went with my buddy who.moved up from north Carolina.  He fishes for sharks constantly down there and has all the gear and tackle to do so. He knows how to get them just not where . And I have an idea of areas sharks should be . So no we just gotta find a decent spot and get lucky 

Try out at nobska. Rocky but real deep near shore. The tactics that work in NC don’t work up here. No need to kayak a bait out all you will do is scare the fish away. Look for deep water near the shore or fish near inlets. Also big beaches hold lots of sharks. Get a flat of mackerel and chum the hell out of the water something will come in. Lol

23 hours ago, Dthfrmabove said:

They are around just have to put your time in can’t expect to get hookups every night unless you’re on the islands 

Even here its very much tide dependent but when the tide is good you can get 1-10 a night and its fun but exhausting.  The last one I caught, few nights back, was HUGE and took almost 30 minutes to get in and bent my 12/0 circle hook in the process. . . . . guess I had the drag a bit tight haha

44 mins ago, MVDCGTO said:

Even here its very much tide dependent but when the tide is good you can get 1-10 a night and its fun but exhausting.  The last one I caught, few nights back, was HUGE and took almost 30 minutes to get in and bent my 12/0 circle hook in the process. . . . . guess I had the drag a bit tight haha

What kinda tide are we looking for ?

5 mins ago, Wilgabeast said:

What kinda tide are we looking for ?

I like it when the end of the incoming coincides with just around sundown or just after.   When the tide slows just a bit so the bait stays out front easier.  I rarely use any weight and just drift chunks and it works well.  But again that’s here on MV 

2 hours ago, MVDCGTO said:

Been dying to get out to the island but having to pull an all-nighter till the next ferry home is a big deterrent!!!  Supposed to be going out aug 17 for  a cocktail party with the wife, sadly I will be leaving the rod at home so I don’t get any bad ideas and try and drag her out with me. Lol 

On 8/5/2019 at 11:21 AM, Dthfrmabove said:

Try out at nobska. Rocky but real deep near shore. The tactics that work in NC don’t work up here. No need to kayak a bait out all you will do is scare the fish away. Look for deep water near the shore or fish near inlets. Also big beaches hold lots of sharks. Get a flat of mackerel and chum the hell out of the water something will come in. Lol

Wetsuit sharking :laugh:

20181211_174026.jpg.ca4f3cff913f55acb767d0254298588b.jpg

Edited by Sandbar1

^^^^^^This is where I got the idea from !!! How was your flight ??  Been real slow this year our normal beach has been packed with people and I have been too lazy to venture out a lot to other beaches. Did need to get new tags though. Gonna get Jason one this weekend,hopefully 

Edited by Dthfrmabove