Wilgabeast

surf fishing for sharks

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, bob_G said:

We all should pay attention to this thread. This may be all we'll be fishing for in the near future.

Isn't it illegal to target these sharks? If so, why should advice and techniques be handed out?

I actually tried Saturday night and we could not hold bottom with 5oz of lead. Our baits would be washed ashore in less than a minute. How much lead do you use? This was a open beach nite an inlet or something. We had a good southwest blow and I was mid tide but I at least expected 5oz to hold. Guess I was wrong. 

13 hours ago, Dthfrmabove said:

I think I know where you were. Did you cross the bridge and fish the lot that the gate closes. Or did you fish on the right jetty On the beach wherethe gate stays open all night

On the right of the jetty . It was my first go and I found some bait swimming around there that afternoon so I picked that spot 

12 hours ago, TonyO said:

Isn't it illegal to target these sharks? If so, why should advice and techniques be handed out?

What sharks are you referring to? People have been fishing the beaches for brown sharks for decades. Not my cup of tea, and I wouldn't do it. I'm not sure it's illegal though?

21 hours ago, Wilgabeast said:

Just wondering if anyone can help me with info on the best bait 

I know brown shark fishermen like to use small bluefish for bait.

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'm not sure it's illegal though?

I'm pretty sure it's legal. I was on the Vineyard in early July, fishing for blues, where locals were catching blues, then live lining them to use for shark bait. I saw a nice brown shark caught with one of those blues.

2 hours ago, Wilgabeast said:

On the right of the jetty . It was my first go and I found some bait swimming around there that afternoon so I picked that spot 

Two things wrong here.

First one is you were fishing in 5 ft of water. They dredged out front over the winter and put all the sand on the right of the jetty

Second thing is the tide sucked !!!!  It was low tide at dark which is never really a good tide. You can get lucky, but the best tides are when high coincides with dark. That is when I have had the best luck 

I was way down on the left side of the beach and left around midnight. I had 3 runs that night but couldn’t close the deal. Had a bucket of tuna guts and heads that brought them in to me. You and the guy you ended up being right on top of were too close together. I don’t know who got there first but you need to spread out a little. Not pointing fingers. I really don’t care but when a shark takes your line it’s not like a striper. If you get a big one be prepared to lose a hundred yds of line or more right off the start. Being that close can only lead to tangled lines and a shark left with a big ass hook and wire leader stuck in its mouth 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

I'm pretty sure it's legal. I was on the Vineyard in early July, fishing for blues, where locals were catching blues, then live lining them to use for shark bait. I saw a nice brown shark caught with one of those blues.

Please be aware that fishing for sharks is regulated by the State and federal regulations.  Federal regulations prohibit targeting any prohibited species and anglers must release any prohibited shark immediately, without removing it from the water and in a manner that maximizes its chances of survival. For example, Sand Tiger Sharks are a prohibited species, therefore posing for pictures on the beach with this species or any other species on the prohibited list is a violation of federal regulations.  Additional information on the regulations regarding these species can be found at www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/atlantic-highly-migratory-species.

Sand Bar or Brown sharks are also on the list

Edited by AlwaysWading

6 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

anglers must release any prohibited shark immediately, without removing it from the water

The whole without removing it from the water part is why after a few goes I gave up this type of fishing.  For what it's worth I used to go to the local dock & buy smallish tuna heads for bait from the fish cleaning places.

8 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

The whole without removing it from the water part is why after a few goes I gave up this type of fishing.  For what it's worth I used to go to the local dock & buy smallish tuna heads for bait from the fish cleaning places.

Yeah, Bluefish, Mackerel, Bunker anything will work

22 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

Please be aware that fishing for sharks is regulated by the State and federal regulations.  Federal regulations prohibit targeting any prohibited species and anglers must release any prohibited shark immediately, without removing it from the water and in a manner that maximizes its chances of survival. For example, Sand Tiger Sharks are a prohibited species, therefore posing for pictures on the beach with this species or any other species on the prohibited list is a violation of federal regulations.  Additional information on the regulations regarding these species can be found at www.fisheries.noaa.gov/topic/atlantic-highly-migratory-species.

Sand Bar or Brown sharks are also on the list

Thank you for the post but I do believe that applies to commercial fishermen. 

Fishermen must release any prohibited shark immediately, without removing it from the water and in a manner that maximizes its chances of survival.

There are also several species—including sandbar, silky, and porbeagle sharks—that can only be kept in limited circumstances.  

* Now the statement of keeping sandbar sharks does not apply to recreational anglers. The NOAA has actually come up with a new study. They are placing different tags on rod and reel caught sandbar sharks that pop off after 6 months. The tags will then be gathered and the data studied to determine the mortality rate of rod and reel caught sharks. Now that study might totally prohibit the catching of these sharks if the findings conclude that it is killing a number of sharks. I know of this because someone I know is involved in the study. We will see what happens for the future of this fishery

Plus if it was illegal why does the NOAA keep sending me spaghetti tags to tag and release these fish ????

1 hour ago, Dthfrmabove said:

Two things wrong here.

First one is you were fishing in 5 ft of water. They dredged out front over the winter and put all the sand on the right of the jetty

Second thing is the tide sucked !!!!  It was low tide at dark which is never really a good tide. You can get lucky, but the best tides are when high coincides with dark. That is when I have had the best luck 

I was way down on the left side of the beach and left around midnight. I had 3 runs that night but couldn’t close the deal. Had a bucket of tuna guts and heads that brought them in to me. You and the guy you ended up being right on top of were too close together. I don’t know who got there first but you need to spread out a little. Not pointing fingers. I really don’t care but when a shark takes your line it’s not like a striper. If you get a big one be prepared to lose a hundred yds of line or more right off the start. Being that close can only lead to tangled lines and a shark left with a big ass hook and wire leader stuck in its mouth 

Me and him were fishing together just to cover more water . Where would be more reasonable area to try ? He moved here from north Carolina and did lots of big shark fishing down there so he knows what he's doing just not locations . I know there are sharks in that area I just need a little help.picking a better spot!