coastalfreak

Favorite 2000 size reel under $100

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

See, I always see these as highly recommended for the money but any time I handled one it felt like cheap, non-smooth junk. 

Interesting. I've always think they have felt better than other reels in the price point. 

8 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

See, I always see these as highly recommended for the money but any time I handled one it felt like cheap, non-smooth junk. 

Well for the money, i think they’re one of the best in their class. They have a huge following over many years. Remember, we’re talking $50 reels here.

I have 2 of the previous model of shimano Sedona's, 2500fd & 4000fd. very satisfied with performance for money.

Recently bought the new model in 2500 & 6000. main changes are improved gear material and no anti reverse.

Very smooth reels for around $70/80.

Another reel that is well worth mentioning is Shimano IX 2000

I love it and have few of those. Very durable and no high maintenance

I could go two seasons without washing them after fishing. I they got abused, slammed, dunk and  spend lots of time in salt water.

And they have rear drag, instead of front.

Shimano 2000IX.jpg

Forgot to mention,

Less than $15

Beat that

Edited by Popasilov

Just now, Popasilov said:

Another reel that is well worth mentioning is Shimano IX 2000

I love it and have few of those. Very durable and no high maintenance

I could go two seasons without washing them after fishing. I they got abused, slammed, dunk and  spend lots of time in salt water.

And they have rear drag, instead of front.

Shimano 2000IX.jpg

You’ve mentioned these enough times that I’ve decided to order a couple for my kids to use. Your opinions always seem pretty solid, and at that price it is impossible to lose.

The presidents are very slick, smooth reels when new, but salt eats the handles off them.

For the surf, I'd recommend a Daiwa BG also.

3 hours ago, thill said:

The presidents are very slick, smooth reels when new, but salt eats the handles off them.

For the surf, I'd recommend a Daiwa BG also.

I'm a huge fan of the Presidents and use the Purist (like the older Medalist, its essentially an 'upgraded' President) for most of my fluke/UL surf and backbay stuff.   They handle the vast majority of my freshwater fishing as well.

Great reels at the price point and beyond, but in the end they arent saltwater reels.  Nether are most of those listed in this thread. 

I take care not to get splashed, rinse after each use with fresh, and douse with wd40 now and again.

The weak spot is the plating on the handle.  The salt likes to peel it away.  Cosmetic.   

IMO a BG on sale if new, or the PennZ series you were mentioning.  BULLETPROOF.

3 hours ago, 55555s said:

"The weak spot is the plating on the handle.  The salt likes to peel it away.  Cosmetic."

I wish that were true!    I forgot to rinse one of mine, a new reel, and forgot about it for a while.   A couple of months passed, and when I grabbed that rod, the handle had deep green/white corrosion.  Broke during a cast not long afterward.   I replaced the handle and the reel still works great, but MAN, I wish I could find a better handle to replace these with.  All of mine look like the handles are years older than they really are.

13 hours ago, Otony said:

You’ve mentioned these enough times that I’ve decided to order a couple for my kids to use. Your opinions always seem pretty solid, and at that price it is impossible to lose.

Thank you or should I say, even you are Italian.

"Spasibo horosho"

I still have two of 2000 and three of 4000 unpacked, in the box.

I remember first time I bought those, about 15 years ago, $7.99 for 1000 and 2000 and $8.99 for 4000.

Search around and you will find them for $12.99 and $13.99.

Good luck

Edited by Popasilov

Another vote for the Fierce II. I’m halfway through season 2 on one. Used for schoolies up to 20 inches, and fluke in the salt. Also largemouth, smallies, and stocker trout in freshwater. 10 lb braid, 2000 size, used 2 - 3 Times weekly. Maybe I got lucky, but this reel has been flawless for me.

8 mins ago, wrboz said:

Another vote for the Fierce II. I’m halfway through season 2 on one. Used for schoolies up to 20 inches, and fluke in the salt. Also largemouth, smallies, and stocker trout in freshwater. 10 lb braid, 2000 size, used 2 - 3 Times weekly. Maybe I got lucky, but this reel has been flawless for me.

Awesome. I think they are on clearance on Penn’s website since the next generation just came out.