coastalfreak

Favorite 2000 size reel under $100

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Im looking for a 2000 size reel to pair with a light or medium light action rod for small fish like Whiting, Croaker, etc. I’ve been looking at Shimano’s Sahara, Penns Fierce, Quantum Iron, etc. 

Edited by coastalfreak

I love Penns. Been using them for  60 years. I have other makes but still love my Penns.  I find them easy to work on, and maintain. Parts are readily easy to get. I don't have a Fierce, But that's the one I would lean to. Besides Penn is great to deal with if you ever had a problem. Go Penn.

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

I love Penns. Been using them for  60 years. I have other makes but still love my Penns.  I find them easy to work on, and maintain. Parts are readily easy to get. I don't have a Fierce, But that's the one I would lean to. Besides Penn is great to deal with if you ever had a problem. Go Penn.

I love them too. They are just built like tanks. 

I've never had a Penn made in the last 10 years that I was very happy with. I can't seem to make a Battle 4000 last for more than 100 fish and the reels under 6000 sizes throw too many knots for my liking.

For my money I'd get a BG every time (and in fact did just that today).

I'd suggest a BG as well, but I'm actually referring to the older Black Gold series, maybe a BG13 or BG15. They don't take a splash very well, but let's face it, neither do the new BGs. Rugged reels, very, very easy to service, and a classic design. I personally own  BG10, BG15, and a BG20, and I use them all often.

You might also consider another older Daiwa, the SS1600. Smooth, smooth, long casts, and it wouldn't still be in the lineup after all these years if it didn't have some sort of mojo. I'm fishing an SS1300 and have pretty much zero complaints. 

Finally, you might consider a Penn Fierce III. I have a Fierce II 4000 that I've come to regard as my go-to perch reel. Its obviously a little bigger than necessary, but it has proven itself time and again. I know a lot of folks don't care for them, and there have been complaints, but as that price point I think you get a lot for your money. As for the complaints, while they are valid, I believe there are a lot more folks like me who have simply had no issues. I can't prove it, but the bottom line is that I like 'em. YMMV......

Zero issues with my shimano Saharas. Keep an eye out for deals, sometimes they can be had for under $50. I have a 2500 and 500.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Nasci for a 2500/3k size

the Lews pro spin or inshore have great drags and my pro spin came with a spare spool. Picked it up on sale for less than 100.  The Diawa fuego LT has held up pretty good even though the flex concerns me sometimes. I primarily target redfish and sheepy. Flounder and trout as secondary in same areas. Ymmv.

Edited by G8trwood

Just now, Mack26 said:

Pflueger President is an excellent reel for the money, and deserves a hard look. Somewhere around $50 too.

I've always loved those reels. Are they saltwater worthy?

34 mins ago, Mack26 said:

Pflueger President is an excellent reel for the money, and deserves a hard look. Somewhere around $50 too.

See, I always see these as highly recommended for the money but any time I handled one it felt like cheap, non-smooth junk.