jason colby

Sea Bass, Tog and Cod-OH MY!

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

It has been a great month so far! Westport has been experiencing the best sea bass fishing "ever", just outside the river. There are bones for those that want to put in the effort and cod to be had not quite as far as one would think! Even some good stripers all around the river as well!

081219mix.JPG

081519mike.JPG

081819thanh.JPG

082019box2.JPG

082019mikecodb.jpg

082019cod.JPG

On 8/21/2019 at 10:10 AM, ermghoti said:

Monster BSB in there! I've been thinking of working Buzzards Bay for tog with the kayak, is anything you're into in paddling range?

The jumbos are on structure in 50 feet of water about 3-4 miles out. I can easily get lots of "large" with "some jumbos" on pieces in 20-25 feet of water but you need to anchor/chum and if you miss the spot you have to pick up and reset. The 20-25 foot spots are in range of a kayak but you would have to have "numbers" that work and head there. Otherwise you are stabbing in the dark...

On 8/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

Very impressive cod there Capt. Mind sharing a death range where you are finding the cod? If not I completely understand.

We are getting a few (keeper) cod while sea bass fishing in 50 feet but the better numbers are 12-30 miles out in 100-130 feet of water.

Quite the conditions for using my "new jigs" today!

Jessica, Dalton and Sergey all lit it up with the biggest kind of sea bass and a few blues as well...

072120jess.JPG

072120dalt.jpg

072120serg.JPG

On 7/21/2020 at 7:04 PM, fishinbill said:

Nice. It has been a solid year so far for BSB. There seems to be a higher percentage than last year of larger fish. 

Virtually every day at least someone gets their PB on my boat. In todays case there were several PB's....

072320luke.JPG

072320dan.JPG

072320kyle.JPG

072320liam.JPG

On 7/21/2020 at 5:59 PM, jason colby said:

Quite the conditions for using my "new jigs" today!

Jessica, Dalton and Sergey all lit it up with the biggest kind of sea bass and a few blues as well...

072120jess.JPG

072120dalt.jpg

072120serg.JPG

I have been out with Jason several times this year and the fishing has been fantastic.The sea bass are huge,the fluke fishing was a blast and of course catching bluefish that i can smoke make the trips just awesome.I can't wait for the blackfish to start chewing,my true passion.

1 hour ago, hotfishgirl said:

I have been out with Jason several times this year and the fishing has been fantastic.The sea bass are huge,the fluke fishing was a blast and of course catching bluefish that i can smoke make the trips just awesome.I can't wait for the blackfish to start chewing,my true passion.

You saw the tog I got. They are there all summer if you use crabs and have patients. At issue is there are not enough tog to make a trip of it... Still fun too try when I know you don't need my "help" to make the sea bass limit!

Going to be around Dartmouth area this weekend, is the water there good BSB or fluke? The bag limit increase back to 3 for togs next month? Time to soak up my crabs into my special sauce then :hooked:

2 hours ago, Hookerboots said:

Going to be around Dartmouth area this weekend, is the water there good BSB or fluke? The bag limit increase back to 3 for togs next month? Time to soak up my crabs into my special sauce then :hooked:

Why go for "anything but" BSB? They are super abundant and they are easy to catch. Unlike fluke and tog (at this time/place)...