jason colby

Sea Bass, Tog and Cod-OH MY!

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

My guys have been having a ball out of Westport lately with quite the mix of bottom dwellers. The fishing is great and you never know what will come up next. We even had a good striper a few days ago in 60 feet of water. Cod (like 15 of them yesterday), blackfish, triggerfish, fluke, super-sized scup and more come up while fishing for sea bass. What makes me wonder is the lack of pressure. In the area I am fishing I've seen one other boat the past two weeks and he was jigging and did not do well. I've found that at this time of year if you jig instead of use bait, you wouldn't realize the abundance of fish that are there! 

072719steff.JPG

072719richie.JPG

080119sb.JPG

080319wencod.JPG

080319tom.JPG

080319mikesb.JPG

Posted (edited) · Report post

Incredible. I’d love to catch a trigger fish. 

I’ve caught a ton of cod in shallow while jiggin for mackerel. Double headers on sibiki rigs. Also caught a ton of whiting as well. All this year. 

Edited by bassturds

Look at that beautiful cod. :love: That was the size once caught in the canal. Fill the freezer with fillets and feast on fresh cod all winter.

1 hour ago, cj7fisherman said:

Nice fish captain! I love fishing the area. If you see a crazy mf fishing on a jet ski it's probably me.

Where I'm fishing, the term for guys/girls fishing jet ski's and kayaks is "shark food"!

On 8/4/2019 at 9:49 AM, bassturds said:

Incredible. I’d love to catch a trigger fish. 

I’ve caught a ton of cod in shallow while jiggin for mackerel. Double headers on sibiki rigs. Also caught a ton of whiting as well. All this year. 

what water depth have you been getting whiting in?  would love to get one to add to the species list lol

On 8/4/2019 at 9:00 AM, jason colby said:

My guys have been having a ball out of Westport lately with quite the mix of bottom dwellers. The fishing is great and you never know what will come up next. We even had a good striper a few days ago in 60 feet of water. Cod (like 15 of them yesterday), blackfish, triggerfish, fluke, super-sized scup and more come up while fishing for sea bass. What makes me wonder is the lack of pressure. In the area I am fishing I've seen one other boat the past two weeks and he was jigging and did not do well. I've found that at this time of year if you jig instead of use bait, you wouldn't realize the abundance of fish that are there! 

072719steff.JPG

072719richie.JPG

080119sb.JPG

080319wencod.JPG

080319tom.JPG

080319mikesb.JPG

What kind of bait are you getting the triggerfish on?  That is one species that continues to elude me. 

50 mins ago, z-man said:

What kind of bait are you getting the triggerfish on?  That is one species that continues to elude me. 

The triggers eat the crabs intended for tog but they will also take clams when we are fishing sea bass.

On 8/4/2019 at 0:30 PM, ermghoti said:

Those are all from Buzzards Bay, or did you have to move outside? You can keep cod South of Cape Cod, correct?

A bit "beyond" (SW of) Buzz Bay. Out in 90-100 ft....

On 8/5/2019 at 0:02 PM, smallstupidfish said:

what water depth have you been getting whiting in?  would love to get one to add to the species list lol

I was getting them In 50-60 feet of water off marshfield. It was towards sunset. Almost every drop I had one! Doubled up a few times. 

Yesterday was "interesting" at Coxes Ledge. We caught cod on almost all my spots but only 1/2 were legal size and there were not more than a 1/2 dozen on each spot. We really had to work!

I've also finally figured out NOAA Weather code! When they say "slight chance of showers", that is the code term for "torrential downpours"....

080619keithhad.JPG

080619g2fcod.jpeg