Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
EchoSierra

Fresh vs Salt Regulations

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I fish both fresh and salt, but I've never run into this issue before.

American Eel and White Perch are regulated under the Saltwater fishing regulations, yet they're mostly found in freshwater. Do Saltwater regulations apply to freshwater? I'm not talking about highly migratory species such as stripers, but I mean the American Eels and white perch that I can catch in the rivers. I don't keep any small eels (regulation is 9 inches, even a 9 inch eel is a dinky thing that I wouldn't want to keep) or white perch (the ones in the rivers all seem to be dinky little ones).

That would be Massachusetts, which is why I asked here. I don't see any references to tidal rivers on either set of regulations, but given your mention of tidal rivers, does that mean that if I'm far enough up the river, saltwater regulations wouldn't apply?

thats my understanding. above tidal influence freshwater regs apply. the problem is determining where that is.  that said, i think the ban on river herring in mass is regulated by the dept of marine fisheries and not the inland dfw. whereas limits on shad, an anadromous species like herring, are regulated by the dfw.