Best live bait rigs for beach fluke?

Rate this topic

jsbergen

I used to use a a plain kahle or octopus hook on a 3' leader with a bank sinker a few inches below it, just like if fishing from a boat. Cast out and sweep the rod to drag along bottom. If it's a sticky bottom this won't work too well, otherwise it works great.

Years back I used an egg sinker above a swivel with a hook and leader attached, worked like a fish finder.  I added a bead between the sinker and the swivel. When you felt a hit just give the fish some slack so he can get it down, count to ten and then strike. .Circle hooks will keep shorts safe. for release. Good luck

I use a three way swivel. One eye gets attached to the main line going to the reel. The other eye gets attached to a three foot piece of twenty pound test mono to a three to six ounce sinker, and the last eye is attached to a two foot mono leader for a wide gap circle hook to attach the live bait fish that now can swim around in circles...

40 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I use a three way swivel. One eye gets attached to the main line going to the reel. The other eye gets attached to a three foot piece of twenty pound test mono to a three to six ounce sinker, and the last eye is attached to a two foot mono leader for a wide gap circle hook to attach the live bait fish that now can swim around in circles...

With two long leaders, doesnt it get tangled?  Or do you just cope with it and undo as needed?

I personally like the Carolina rigs mentioned above.   

If I want to get it up off the bottom I  just use a rig like Sy mentioned above, but with a far shorter leader to the hook.  A dropper loop in lieu of a 3 way swivel too.