JButts

DIY Stripping Basket

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

Most people use a non-elastic wading belt for stripping basket belt. Instead try this method. Go to fabric store. Buy 4" wide elastic belt-like fabric. Buy a couple packs of velcro sheets with adhesive backing. Glue to basket and to the elastic belt fabric. Easily adjustable and more comfortable allowing more time spent fishing. 

18 mins ago, Oakman said:

How long have you been using this set up?

Haven't used it yet. Just put it together 24 hours ago. 24 hour cure time on velcro adhesive. If adhesive fails, I will have to find some other way to attach it. 

The velcro can be sewn to the fabric. I can attach the velcro to the stripping basket with zip ties or if I even grommets of some kind. Hope the adhesive works. This is a sweet setup as is. Very adjustable. 

1 min ago, WeeHooker said:

I like a 24" bungee for my home made basket. The kind with the plastic hooks work best.

Can you adjust attachment points? With the velcro sheets there are like a thousand different configurations for attachment. If you're wading deep and want to keep the basket out of water it's no problem to move it higher. 

49 mins ago, JButts said:

Can you adjust attachment points? With the velcro sheets there are like a thousand different configurations for attachment. If you're wading deep and want to keep the basket out of water it's no problem to move it higher. 

The basket I used is perforated I can change the tension and or fit of the basket by moving the hooks on the bungee to a different location. I can also just pull the basket up or around quickly. It's not a perfect solution but it works for me. Of course my basket is smaller and lighter than many. Personal choice.

JB,Their correct - it won't last.

Good idea - but materials need changing.

I did what you want to accomplish 7-8 yrs ago because the basket kept slipping down over my butt.

I gave the idea to LineKurv and they incorporated it into their baskets as an option.

My original had traditional nylon webbing from end to end in the basket and military-grade elastic webbing - same width as nylon webbing - around the waist.

The elastic dead-ended at the left side on basket.

The right side had the webbing attached to the male side of the buckle. The elastic is attached to the female side of the buckle.  The military-grade webbing had to be doubled to provide the tension needed.  Served me well for years until LikeKurv adopted it and purchased elastic webbing that was as strong as mine doubled.  They sent me enough for two of their baskets.

So now I use their webbing.

Herb

These sound good. But what is the part of my system that won't last? Like I said if it's the adhesive that's not gonna last I can sew velcro to the elastic belt and I grommet maybe or use zip ties to attach the velcro to the side of the basket. 

I like the other systems though helpful to hear about. Pretty excited about the one I have developed but it hasn't been tested yet. 

J

The proof of the pudding is the eating of it.

When you have taken  a few mouthfuls you will have the first inkling if your system is ok or no. Maybe a bit early to start waxing lyrical.

mike

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, DrBob said:

Non stretch nylon web belt with plastic snap buckle sounds a whole lot more durable.

It is more durable.

Don't know about you but, sometimes I'm running up and down the beach, bending over to unhook a fish, putting my rod in my basket, getting splashed with debris and sand...

I need solid and reliable stuff.

Nylon web belt with plastic snap buckle.

Just my opinion.

P7310047.JPG

P7310048.JPG

Edited by snapper1

7 hours ago, DrBob said:

Non stretch nylon web belt with plastic snap buckle sounds a whole lot more durable.

Durable - yes.  but not nearly as comfortable or forgiving.

Too loose and the belt/basket slips down when walking and you have to keep pulling it up - PITA.

Too tight and it strangles you.  There seems to be no "Goldilocks" tension with nylon webbing alone.

The elastic is needed to provide proper tension and give for comfort.

Tradition is great - but leave a lot of room for innovation.

Herb