Mark Vinson

Bait casting reels

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

A subject of no small discussion here. Leading contenders are the Daiwa Lexa 300 and 400, the Komodo 400 series, and a minority voice that speaks for one of the bigger Abu reels - I forget which one. However, they're usually discussed as casting reels first, and trolling a herring or trolling at all doesn't come up. I am not sure I would pick any of them for trolling as a primary use.

You might be better off with a Daiwa or Penn levelwind, not necessarily a luxe baitcaster.

Gents?  Have at it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Plenty of line cap and drag on these reels here.

Abu Garcia blue yonder 6500/7000 more of a surf reel. 

Daiwa Saltiga 

Seigler ss 

Shimano torium 16 would probably be great for trolling.

Edited by Gooch88

2 hours ago, Mark Vinson said:

What is the best baitcasting reel for striper fishing, down rods with blue back herring ect?

Very good read i quoted on the bottom. 

Down rods with blueback herring sounds like reservoir fishing. The standard reel for that was an Ambassadeur 6500 with 15 or 17 mono. 

With modern lines, both braid and copolymer, you don't need as much capacity, so any good reel will do- just focus on good drag materials and skip the smaller bass reels. 

The Daiwa Saltist Level Wind is a tank of a reel with a clicker, floating spool (i.e., when in free spool) and a star drag.  I use the size 30 with 65lb Power Pro when fishing the Point Pleasant Canal here in NJ (mostly bouncing lead, but Big Gibbs Darters and Northbar Bottle Darters come into play if and when big bunker, mullet or herring show up).  For reservoir fishing, I would suggest the 20 size.  I installed fixed mags for cast control, as the reel has no brakes whatsoever.

Get a Seigler SM and be done with it.  It’s got big drag for a conventional and has mag cast control.  You can catch sea Robbin to sharks with this bad boy.    It cast a mile and can handle just about anything 

If trolling why not just use a lever drag?

I wouldn't bother with a baitcaster for that purpose.

Or are we just bottom fishing?

Still, lever drags are a good option if fishing multiple rods with suspended baits in holders.

If I am holding a rod while fishing, just give me a Komodo 471. These people who talk about certain reels being tanks don't know what a tank is, the Komodo 471 and 463 reels use stainless steel from crankshaft to spool shaft and can handle every ounce of their 30lbs of drag while fishing 16oz of lead and a 15in baitfish off the bottom.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

The OP hasn't clarified his intended use.  If he really does want a baitcaster, the Penn, Saltiga and Saltist level wind reels don't really qualify; the Torium, Siegler SS and SM have no level wind at all. If I had to troll with a baitcaster, Garshark and Beastly are right on - a big Komodo would probably be the best. RR Bridgefisher has referred him to a very good thread.

My personal preference is any baitcaster/multiplier

with a rating of 15 pound to 20 pound mono that

holds anywhere from 250 yards to 300 yards of mono.

The OP's "use" question can cover a lot of territory. I've never done the down rigger stuff, but have trolled for Stripers. I've used some of the same reels for planer boards if that counts. 

My reel arsenal has been ABU 5500/5600 series thru the 6500/6600 in a couple of the configurations for each for lighter duty and a couple of 9000 & 10000 sizes for more heavy duty. In addition, I've used the Penn's, in 85, 185, 209 & 309 models and a 114. Are they the best? I can't answer that, as I've not used every reel on the market to compare, but I'll say they all did what I needed. They all also worked well for bottom fishing too. 

Some of these I've also used for casting, so there's that dimension. 

Edited by Jim H

1 hour ago, Jim H said:

The OP's "use" question can cover a lot of territory. I've never done the down rigger stuff, but have trolled for Stripers. I've used some of the same reels for planer boards if that counts. 

My reel arsenal has been ABU 5500/5600 series thru the 6500/6600 in a couple of the configurations for each for lighter duty and a couple of 9000 & 10000 sizes for more heavy duty. In addition, I've used the Penn's, in 85, 185, 209 & 309 models and a 114. Are they the best? I can't answer that, as I've not used every reel on the market to compare, but I'll say they all did what I needed. They all also worked well for bottom fishing too. 

Some of these I've also used for casting, so there's that dimension. 

The OP could just get a Penn US Senator 113 and be done with it, excellent free spool, castible, trollible, bottomfishible, etc...

Clarification truly is needed as you inferred.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

3 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The OP hasn't clarified his intended use.  If he really does want a baitcaster, the Penn, Saltiga and Saltist level wind reels don't really qualify; the Torium, Siegler SS and SM have no level wind at all. If I had to troll with a baitcaster, Garshark and Beastly are right on - a big Komodo would probably be the best. RR Bridgefisher has referred him to a very good thread.

Yeah, until we get better clarification of the intended use is needed.

Unless the OP replies we are kind of stuck.