Gamakatsu Failure

Rate this topic

ged

2 hours ago, ChasingTales said:

I use to use the big river 9/0 I now switch  over to Daichii  D91 super J hook. I also love there bleeding  treble  hooks  I use them on all my plugs. I haven't tried there circle or the octopus hooks but I bet they are just as good in quality  as there others

I like Daiichi hooks too, use their trebles & some jig hooks, plus fly hooks. In that fly hook discussion I mentioned, that brand is what started the discussion. Some folks were having breakage problems, with a few stating they were breaking in the fly vise. 

As said, any hook brand can have quality control problems. 

3 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

Agreed on all counts.  The biggest hook problem I have now is Mustad is discontinuing their short shank 60 degree jig hook line (#34185's).   The best replacement I can find is their #32824 series.  They are good, strong, forged hooks that are black nickel plated.  The gap is wider than the line being replaced, they are about one size larger in their numbering system and they are 3 to 4 times more expensive.  I'm getting resistance from some customers.  There is no reasonable alternative in a full size range.  It will take some time to complete the change over.

Thanks Dan, and I'm having similar problems with those same Mustad hooks. I was just remarking the other day that Mustad prices are rising too, to the point for some of their hooks that they're as high as brands such as Owner. I can't blame them for that, it's business, but makes going to a "better" brand easier to swallow when the prices are a a lot closer. 

I've started using some VMC hooks as alternatives to the Mustad, but not jig hooks. I'm using the 9255 J hook and wire eyes. Still not an exact equivalent but also not as costly. Fortunately, a lot of folks here want the black nickel hooks instead of tinned because they want sharp from the pack, and they''re being used in the lakes. Many who fish in salt here are also using the black nickel hooks. It's a mind set for sure. I still have some of the 34184/34185's in a couple of sizes, so hopefully, I won't run out anytime soon. 

32 mins ago, Jim H said:

I like Daiichi hooks too, use their trebles & some jig hooks, plus fly hooks. In that fly hook discussion I mentioned, that brand is what started the discussion. Some folks were having breakage problems, with a few stating they were breaking in the fly vise. 

As said, any hook brand can have quality control problems. 

Thanks Dan, and I'm having similar problems with those same Mustad hooks. I was just remarking the other day that Mustad prices are rising too, to the point for some of their hooks that they're as high as brands such as Owner. I can't blame them for that, it's business, but makes going to a "better" brand easier to swallow when the prices are a a lot closer. 

I've started using some VMC hooks as alternatives to the Mustad, but not jig hooks. I'm using the 9255 J hook and wire eyes. Still not an exact equivalent but also not as costly. Fortunately, a lot of folks here want the black nickel hooks instead of tinned because they want sharp from the pack, and they''re being used in the lakes. Many who fish in salt here are also using the black nickel hooks. It's a mind set for sure. I still have some of the 34184/34185's in a couple of sizes, so hopefully, I won't run out anytime soon. 

One of the downsides of hooks other than Mustad is that they don't come in all sizes.  When only 2 or 3 sizes are made that is too limiting for my needs.  

-

21 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Very interesting. I didn't know Mustad invented circle hooks. 

The ghosts of some very, very old Polynesians may take issue with that claim...

"I have always believed that outdoor writers who come out against fish and wildlife conservation are in the wrong business. To me, it makes as much sense golf writers coming out against grass.."  --  Ted Williams