Reel match for a 7.5” St Croix Tidemaster?

Rate this topic

Surf Ranger

I’ve got a 7.5” Tidemaster travel rod, rated MH, F

It’s distance sweet spot is on the high side of its range, at about 1.5 oz.

Used for Albies and Blues mostly, for surf casting. I’m wondering if there are any long-cast reel options for this rod. Penn’s smallest LC is the Spinfisher VI 5500. It looks a bit smallish for a 5500, but I’m thinking it’s just too big for this rod. Or is it? Anyone else making a nice 4500 long caster?

Any info much appreciated!

2 hours ago, Surf Ranger said:

I’ve got a 7.5” Tidemaster travel rod, rated MH, F

It’s distance sweet spot is on the high side of its range, at about 1.5 oz.

Used for Albies and Blues mostly, for surf casting. I’m wondering if there are any long-cast reel options for this rod. Penn’s smallest LC is the Spinfisher VI 5500. It looks a bit smallish for a 5500, but I’m thinking it’s just too big for this rod. Or is it? Anyone else making a nice 4500 long caster?

Any info much appreciated!

I have this rod in a travel version ... the standard new Penn Spinfisher VI SSVI 4500 is a really good match ... or a Daiwa BG 4000. Either with 20 to 30 lbs test braid will get most jobs done!

Long Cast Spool reels are not necessary at all ... unless you're fishing a longer surf rod.

Good luck in your fishing!

RockfishOn!! :cool:

I have the exact same rod and have used a Shimano Stella FJ 5k and now a Vanquish FB 5k on it and it’s casting performance has been excellent. Keep in mind, both these reels have the same “long stroke” spool design as the new Stradic FL. That said, I’m planning on getting one of those reels, Stradic FL 5k and dedicate its use to that rod. I think that reel will be perfect for this rod in saltwater applications.

3A53C7CC-210C-4F40-9D50-2C0B709C2EE9.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

7 mins ago, Inshore said:

I have the exact same rod and have used a Shimano Stella FJ 5k and now a Vanquish FB 5k on it and it’s casting performance has been excellent. Keep in mind, both these reels have the same “long stroke” spool design as the new Stradic FL. That said, I’m planning on getting one of those reels, Stradic FL 5k and dedicate its use to that rod. I think that reel will be perfect for this rod in saltwater applications.

That's a good idea .. I must say. And Stradics are on sale lately as new versions are coming out.

5 mins ago, KironaFly said:

And Stradics are on sale lately as new versions are coming out.

Keep in mind, I’m talking about the new Stradic, the old one (FK - on sale now) doesn’t have the long stroke spool design...

"Only through movement will you achieve victory"

Shimano STC5000XGFL Stradic FL Spinning Reels

Body Material: Hagane & metal 

Max Drag (lbs): 24 

Line Capacity Braid (yds/lb): 20/260, 30/235, 40/185 

Weight (oz): 10.4 

Bearings: 6+

Line Capacity Mono (yds/lb): 10/240, 12/195, 14/165

Color: Silver/Blue

After checking out the specs on this reel ... and your desire for a "long cast" type spool ... this new release of the Shimano Stradic is probably exactly what you want for the rod in question. I might even get one down the road.

20 hours ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

I feel as though a LC reel shines best with 10+ footers.

You should get more than enough distance out of a 7.5 footer using a 3-4K sized reel, such as a stradic.

Thanks. I’d expect you’re right. Just trying to get as much distance as I can.

19 hours ago, KironaFly said:

I have this rod in a travel version ... the standard new Penn Spinfisher VI SSVI 4500 is a really good match ... or a Daiwa BG 4000. Either with 20 to 30 lbs test braid will get most jobs done!

Long Cast Spool reels are not necessary at all ... unless you're fishing a longer surf rod.

Good luck in your fishing!

Thanks. I’ve got a 7-foot Tidemaster as well with a Spinfisher V 4500. It’s a nice match. As for distance, I’m just trying to get that extra 10 yards. Its sometimes the difference between catching them and not. I like using lighter tackle for surf fishing, but ideally would like to sacrifice a little less distance. Can always grab my 11-footer if I need to reach them.

19 hours ago, Inshore said:

Thanks for that. They are super light.