2019 year of the squid

Rate this topic

codfish

I have fished it off and on all season (HOGY Squid) with no bites.   I fish mostly inner harbor, but did try it off well known Pier where everyone was using squid as bait, or were actually squidding and pulling them in (squid) left and right.   Gave it a good 30-40 minutes with squat to show for it.  Maybe I don't know how to use it.  If anyone has best retrieve recommendations, let me know.   Swim it low / middle / high?

A general question:  Do squid imitators work in river mouths of Boston Harbor, or do the squid stay out in open waters more?

Edited by TheClasp

34 mins ago, TheClasp said:

I have fished it off and on all season (HOGY Squid) with no bites.   I fish mostly inner harbor, but did try it off well known Pier where everyone was using squid as bait, or were actually squidding and pulling them in (squid) left and right.   Gave it a good 30-40 minutes with squat to show for it.  Maybe I don't know how to use it.  If anyone has best retrieve recommendations, let me know.   Swim it low / middle / high?

A general question:  Do squid imitators work in river mouths of Boston Harbor, or do the squid stay out in open waters more?

I think that plug has a pretty specific purpose:  fishing rips like Monomoy and the Vinyard.  The video on their website showing how to use it pretty much demonstrates that.   I imagine it could be used in any inlet, or even the canal  in certain circumstances.   

DITCH TROLL

Roy that color is new to me and must be worth a little, seeing it was not made to long.

Are you back as President of SWLCC or have you not revised the title . I understand that the previous place where it all began will be open for next years venue , but hopefully it will remain at its new location, for a whole list of reasons. How goes the battle my friend/

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

20 hours ago, z-man said:

Has anyone tried one of the new Hogy squid plugs?

4 hours ago, TheClasp said:

I picked up a 247 Squid-Zee for this season to try as a squid lure. It's similar to the Hogy lure. I've thrown it a couple of times so far but with no luck yet. I'm sure blues will tear the rubber tail pretty quickly. I'm planning on replacing it with a bucktail siwash.

squid.jpg.abc048157d275acfa7c90dc28657198f.jpg

38 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Roy that color is new to me and must be worth a little, seeing it was not made to long.

Are you back as President of SWLCC or have you not revised the title . I understand that the previous place where it all began will be open for next years venue , but hopefully it will remain at its new location, for a whole list of reasons. How goes the battle my friend/

Hey Carl how are you my friend?  No I am no longer an officers in the club. Just a grunt now hahahaha. Not sure what they are going to do for next year but I believe they will be back in Westport again. 

It is a difficult color to find especially in this condition. I have had them all for a long time and had Stan sign them back in the 90s. The flat bottom canal  special I actually got out of Stan’s  basement in 92. 

Yesterdays fish report, fished with my friend, we started out with Mackerel, then chunk Mackerel, even gave eels a go, we caught nothing not one bite, decided to cast 9 inch squid baits and caught quite a few bass but none over 28,, but still fun, moral of the report "2019 is the year of the squid"

thumbnail (13).jpg

65045841_10213738140918279_6309042147320397824_n.jpg

6 hours ago, Roy C said:

I believe this is the purple color Stan and John made for a short time. The three I have pictured are the 5.25oz Pencil popper the flat bottom canal special Pencil popper and a GS3

5F4A4584-9971-4EBE-962F-2BAC6039E47E.jpeg

DA3BA514-621D-413E-8E10-EF87BFAF2F3A.jpeg

04BEF4F9-C889-4334-9203-11545241F43B.jpeg

Yup, that's the color.  Just as I recall it 

As you said, the three on top were canal specials. The flat bottom  plug was designed specifically for the canal. The heavily weighted plug cast beautifully, however sank like a stone upon hitting the water.  Then the plug would take forever to return to the surface when retrieved.  To solve this, John Gibbs created the flat bottom which caused the plug to rise upon the retrieve fast and work the surface.

The three hook plug was my fav. A heavy plug, difficult to cast. Most of us cast it with 45lb Dacron or 40lb mono. The oversized plug made a dramatic splash upon hitting the water, and a real commotion upon retrieve, attracting a lot of attention. The color was a real game changer.

I also notice the specials are signed. Nice. I have a unique signed plug John Gibbs gave me. I'm fishing now, but will post a photo tomorrow.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

17 hours ago, zak-striper said:

I picked up a 247 Squid-Zee for this season to try as a squid lure. It's similar to the Hogy lure. I've thrown it a couple of times so far but with no luck yet. I'm sure blues will tear the rubber tail pretty quickly. I'm planning on replacing it with a bucktail siwash.

squid.jpg.abc048157d275acfa7c90dc28657198f.jpg

I've fished these plugs since Al Gag (Squidsy) made them with great success, especially with blues. Never tried those colors, the colors that work for me are white, pink and especially amber. You're right, the blues chew up the plastic tail, the original form Al did not include this; I have added a siwash with bucktail which works.

Squidsy.jpg.22d047f78c95f078cd415713f24af7f1.jpg

Edited by zeke04
Add photo

18 hours ago, codfish said:

My brother dropped a Mack down off Ptown the squid tore it to shreds, have you guys ever heard of this??

especially when you are into the larger sized squid , when I was in France fishing from my ship I hooked a Spanish mackerel and wached a nice squid come along and completely inhale the whole Mack that was well over 13 inches in length before I could get it aboard for the ships cook to cook it.

Life member M.B.B.A #509

Life member Izaak Walton Fishing Association

Life member Cape Cod Canal

2 hours ago, Angler #1 said:

especially when you are into the larger sized squid , when I was in France fishing from my ship I hooked a Spanish mackerel and wached a nice squid come along and completely inhale the whole Mack that was well over 13 inches in length before I could get it aboard for the ships cook to cook it.

yiks