flylikabird

Great Whites Impacting Cape Cod Tourism

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I seriously considered taking a week's leave and heading up there to save them the cost of the "sharp-shooter."  Have the Coasties drop me off for three or four days; give me the optics/NVG's/laser, etc and I'd have handled that crap.  Ultimately didn't want to get in the middle of the crap-show that would ensue when they tried to find the NVG's and optics I'd ask for.  The "swells" would be screaming holy hell.  

Edited by JimP

4 hours ago, fishonnelsons said:

Sharks, tax, let’s not forget the continuing impact of the plovers - oversand access still closed - that’s why a lot of people came out here, now you might be lucky to get 3 weeks of summer access - that’s 7 weeks of people going elsewhere

It’s now the first week of August and the ORV is still closed. I’ve rented a place down there for the last 10+ years for either the last week in July or first week in August and always had at least some beach to drive. Although Hatches was closed more and more each year which sucks because that is the most kid friendly and shark safe area. Now it looks like if you want to do the ORV beach then stick to the end of August only. If you’re lucky. 

6 hours ago, fishonnelsons said:

Sharks, tax, let’s not forget the continuing impact of the plovers - oversand access still closed - that’s why a lot of people came out here, now you might be lucky to get 3 weeks of summer access - that’s 7 weeks of people going elsewhere

I think this has more to do with it than the sharks or seals.

The Plovers are just one part of the  bird picture. The shore bird fall migration is just getting going now, the resting areas will be totally off limits.

The ORV  route is basically history, nothing will changes that now IMO.

8 mins ago, Plug and teaser said:

I think this has more to do with it than the sharks or seals.

The Plovers are just one part of the  bird picture. The shore bird fall migration is just getting going now, the resting areas will be totally off limits.

The ORV  route is basically history, nothing will changes that now IMO.

And don't think for a moment the present beach situation doesn't directly impact what's happening on the canal.  I have no doubt many of these newbie canal guys are former experienced beach fishermen who have been displaced by lack of access, seals and plovers. 

5 hours ago, oldgoat said:

You guys just don't get it.

I sat at town meeting when folks were deciding if the State or Feds should steal our land for a park. The Feds won out.

So now we have a guy siting in a chair next to a Plover nest waiting for it to grow up.

We also have  a chase boat ,a spotter plane ,and a famous stick guy (he thinks) costing the tax payer big time but you can meet them at a shark party  if ya toss a check in the basket.

PS  They had to chase another world wide shark tagging outfit out side of the three mile State waters limit.

Bottom line is what started out as a park for people turned into a job opportunity for federal workers .

if A SHARK BITS YOUR KID WHO GOS IN THE WATER TO SAVE THE KID????? 

Yep -- big brother to control everything. Be careful with that one.... what they give they can take away.

I’m 26, born and raised on the cape, orleans... if we are seeing less tourism it has nothing to do with sharks... I tried going down to nauset today to get in the water, half mile line of cars waiting 

I just went over the Bourne Bridge and traffic is backed over 1/2 mile coming on to the Cape. It's been like this all day. This AM it was backed up almost to Glen Charlie Rd.