flylikabird

Great Whites Impacting Cape Cod Tourism

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, Kones1 said:

The outer cape business owners say it’s off 30-50 %. RT 6 was never all jammed up like years past. Weekends are still pretty busy but you can’t survive on 10 busy weekends. P town was empty on several nights we were there. They are worried from Wellfleet out. The people in Wellfleet are real worried about the extreme environmentalists talking of removing the 100 year old dike and flooding out homes and businesses. Locals cheer this lack of traffic unless tourism pays the bills. Pretty soon only the ultra rich will live there. 

Neighbors have stores in Ptown, have not heard 30-50% off, which is a lot, but they say business is definitely down. I’m too polite to ask, but my guess would be 10-20%, still a lot. Interesting too, more and more business owners up here are admitting to an off year, before no one would ever say they were down, even if they were, but this year it’s common discussion.

Sharks, tax, let’s not forget the continuing impact of the plovers - oversand access still closed - that’s why a lot of people came out here, now you might be lucky to get 3 weeks of summer access - that’s 7 weeks of people going elsewhere

Last year was off but no one would admit to it. 10-20 last year. One business owner,long time 2 generation restaurant owner was telling me those numbers. I would consider him to be a pretty good barometer. I’m sure you know them in Wellfleet. We all said 10 years ago this would happen. And the orv is still closed.  

You all are sick of hearing it from me as I’ve been pretty outspoken about it but I contacted a lawyer fishing friend and he’s almost as pissed off as I over this bird ****. He’s sending an FOIA to the park service ( Natzi Police Service )   They will have to disclose all the info regarding the total closures and then we will see if we can fight for some sharing of the sand. 

17 mins ago, fishonnelsons said:

Sharks, tax, let’s not forget the continuing impact of the plovers - oversand access still closed - that’s why a lot of people came out here, now you might be lucky to get 3 weeks of summer access - that’s 7 weeks of people going elsewhere

I was looking through this to see if anyone said something about plovers. I have a permit for Sandy neck and have been down there (live in Boston) only a handful of times so far. 

16 mins ago, Kones1 said:

You all are sick of hearing it from me as I’ve been pretty outspoken about it but I contacted a lawyer fishing friend and he’s almost as pissed off as I over this bird ****. He’s sending an FOIA to the park service ( Natzi Police Service )   They will have to disclose all the info regarding the total closures and then we will see if we can fight for some sharing of the sand. 

Maybe eventually cape cod will realize how expensive those birds are. You have every right to be angry. I called up the gatehouse at sandy neck asking when the hell it will be open and they gave me a bs non answer of it’s up to the birds. 

10 mins ago, Reed422 said:

Maybe eventually cape cod will realize how expensive those birds are. You have every right to be angry. I called up the gatehouse at sandy neck asking when the hell it will be open and they gave me a bs non answer of it’s up to the birds. 

What’s even more messed up was last years discussion of allowing hunting of foxes, coyotes, skunks etc in Duxbury because they were eating plover eggs

I remember a study or a story(?) done on Revere Beach I think, where it was considered one of the most successful plover rehabilitation projects; the reason given was that all the human foot traffic scared away the predators that eat plover eggs. So by keeping the beaches essentially free of humans through ORV bans and the such, it's actually giving predators free reign on the birds 

You guys just don't get it.

I sat at town meeting when folks were deciding if the State or Feds should steal our land for a park. The Feds won out.

So now we have a guy siting in a chair next to a Plover nest waiting for it to grow up.

We also have  a chase boat ,a spotter plane ,and a famous stick guy (he thinks) costing the tax payer big time but you can meet them at a shark party  if ya toss a check in the basket.

PS  They had to chase another world wide shark tagging outfit out side of the three mile State waters limit.

Bottom line is what started out as a park for people turned into a job opportunity for federal workers .

if A SHARK BITS YOUR KID WHO GOS IN THE WATER TO SAVE THE KID????? 

35 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Bottom line is what started out as a park for people turned into a job opportunity for federal workers .

and there it is.  Liberalism's ultimate goal.  If ya'll think this is about "saving the Plover", you are sadly mistaken.  It's all about control.  

And to think, Massachusetts was the spark that gained our liberty from Britain.   The mindset up there amazes me these days.  From the "swells" from Wellesley trying to shut down skydiving in Chatham, to the folks trying to punish John Koski and his lobster-traps (back in the day), to whatever crazy power-grab is in vogue these days.  

Oldgoat, remember some years back when the FWD truck was caught hosing the plover shells off their wheels after they  ran the beach?  May brother got balled up some years back as he had the temerity to let his dog touch the beach sand while he was off Monomoy clamming.   It's crazy up there.  

Hey Jim P.  Monomoy wanted to open hunting in the wildlife refuge  for coyotes only, no ducks!

Well the bird people herd about it and shut it down. Guess we know w ho runs the show.

33 mins ago, oldgoat said:

Hey Jim P.  Monomoy wanted to open hunting in the wildlife refuge  for coyotes only, no ducks!

Well the bird people herd about it and shut it down. Guess we know w ho runs the show.

Actually there was[not sure now] a hired sharpshooter out on S.Monomoy knocking off coyotes and foxes back 8+ years ago.A group on us were down at the tip flyfishing from shore[rode out on the Rip-Ryder].At about noon a gentleman sporting a backpack ,spinning rod, and shoulder slug rifle w/silencer came by and had lunch with us.He was from Colorado and hired by the FWS to "balance" the eco-system.I have pictures of him somewhere in my pile.Not much after that people in town inquired about why locals couldn't do the same thing.

Ithink this is their Idea of no pay shooting with local hunters after first of the year.

I n the good ol days between bird hunting  and the start of all small game hunting the 

deer would head for the cedar swamp,then Morris Island, then Monomoy.

The coyotes would do the same thing and do a job on ducks and deer.

As a kid I remember talking to old Gus Ellis and him saying how men would go to Monomoy and shoot ducks by the barrel then ship them by train off Cape.

Heard the same thing from Bud Bassett.

The ol fire chief saying how they made small lumps of eel grass on the ice flows to look like resting birds and then go gunning for birds on moonlight nights as birds flew in.