flylikabird

Great Whites Impacting Cape Cod Tourism

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Yup...all those Great Whites are having a huge impact on the tourism on Cape Cod! 

Every other day there is another report of how the increase of tagging's, sightings, beach closings are impacting the Cape Cod Tourism.

Last year's fatality of a young boogie boarder in Wellfleet has started to set the tone that this is no longer an unfortunate event.  The amount of Gray Seals coupled with the increase of Great White Sharks annually has transformed a natural ecosystem into the actual fictional Peter Benchley Novel of 1974 Jaws.  

5d44d6aad85ef_Jaws-Peter-Benchley-1974-1st-First-Edition-HCDJ1.jpg.3aceeae7835b9d2107c74a7b27b567cc.jpg

Edited by flylikabird

So what is the huge impact?? Got any numbers?

My family has a beach house in Harwichport, and I won't go there between Memorial Day and Labor Day.

There's simply way to many humans for my taste.

Every Thursday and Friday traffic approaching the Bourne Bridge is backed up for a mile. Often more. I've never seen traffic so bad in my 40 years here. The crowds on the canal are so bad you sometimes can't find a place to park. If there's negative negative impact on tourism I'm not seeing it.

So what is the huge impact?? Got any numbers?

They'll be there for you easily by 2020.

It's at the forefront of every discussion about the Cape right now!

I'll talk to my family to add to this discussion at the end of October show how much it really is impacting true Cape Cod residents.

Are Increased Shark Sightings On The Cape Impacting Tourism?

On Tuesday and Wednesday, according to the app Sharktivity, there have been at least seven great white shark sightings off the coast of Cape Cod. Last summer, we saw two attacks, including one that led to the tragic death of a 26-year-old man.

How are the increased shark sightings, and last summer's lethal attack, impacting Cape Cod tourism and business?

https://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2019/07/11/sharks-cape-cod-business

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

Every Thursday and Friday traffic approaching the Bourne Bridge is backed up for a mile. Often more. I've never seen traffic so bad in my 40 years here. The crowds on the canal are so bad you sometimes can't find a place to park. If there's negative negative impact on tourism I'm not seeing it.

Bob the other day in Ptown perfect weather and the major parking lot is Ptown is usually full it was half, just saying

I'm planning on launching my Hobie Adventure 16  this season for the Funny Fish all over New England as I usually do regardless of Great White Shark sightings or not!

I just want to say that there's gotta be a better way to mange the seals and the Majestic Great White Sharks!

4 mins ago, flylikabird said:

I'm planning on launching my Hobie Adventure 16  this season for the Funny Fish all over New England as I usually do regardless of Great White Shark sightings or not!

I just want to say that there's gotta be a better way to mange the seals and the Majestic Great White Sharks!

There's an old adage, "you can't put the  toothpaste back in the tube".

Our gubmint placed seals under federal protection, without a management plan. They never revisited, and no one noticed their population exploded. 

Unless a disease infects the entire colony, we better learn to like seals because they're here to stay.

Every year Kayak'rs try to tell the people who mater that their's a real need to count the White Sharks in  Southern New England.  

Greg Skomal is finishing up a multiyear (5??) Study on this very topic. After hearing him speak at a convention, my takeaway was somewhere between 3 and 500 GWsharks visit the cape and adjacent waters every summer.

9 hours ago, flylikabird said:

Yup...all those Great Whites are having a huge impact on the tourism on Cape Cod! 

Every other day there is another report of how the increase of tagging's, sightings, beach closings are impacting the Cape Cod Tourism.

Last year's fatality of a young boogie boarder in Wellfleet has started to set the tone that this is no longer an unfortunate event.  The amount of Gray Seals coupled with the increase of Great White Sharks annually has transformed a natural ecosystem into the actual fictional Peter Benchley Novel of 1974 Jaws.  

5d44d6aad85ef_Jaws-Peter-Benchley-1974-1st-First-Edition-HCDJ1.jpg.3aceeae7835b9d2107c74a7b27b567cc.jpg

I don't see a decline in tourists around my homeland "The Cape". So it appears the sharks aren't eating the tourists fast enough.

The outer cape business owners say it’s off 30-50 %. RT 6 was never all jammed up like years past. Weekends are still pretty busy but you can’t survive on 10 busy weekends. P town was empty on several nights we were there. They are worried from Wellfleet out. The people in Wellfleet are real worried about the extreme environmentalists talking of removing the 100 year old dike and flooding out homes and businesses. Locals cheer this lack of traffic unless tourism pays the bills. Pretty soon only the ultra rich will live there.