Really Fun Trip to Pensacola

Rate this topic

coastalfreak

You guys may have seen my questions floating around regarding Mississippi and Pontchartrain. 

Anyways, I decided to go out on a limb and try Pensacola, and I had so much fun. 

I will I’ll post pictures when I get home tonight, but I caught like 15 jumbo pin fish on light tackle (which felt a lot like bluegill on ultra light), as well as a massive Spadefish. I hooked into a nice Ladyfish but I lost it. After the beach pier part, I went to Pensacola Bay and fished around there. I caught my first puffer and my first red drum, both on FishBites. The Red Drum was just a little puppy, but I couldn’t care less. I was so excited. 

Very impressed with the area. Cleanest Florida Beach I’ve been to. 

"It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most
Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

3 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

You guys may have seen my questions floating around regarding Mississippi and Pontchartrain. 

Anyways, I decided to go out on a limb and try Pensacola, and I had so much fun. 

I will I’ll post pictures when I get home tonight, but I caught like 15 jumbo pin fish on light tackle (which felt a lot like bluegill on ultra light), as well as a massive Spadefish. I hooked into a nice Ladyfish but I lost it. After the beach pier part, I went to Pensacola Bay and fished around there. I caught my first puffer and my first red drum, both on FishBites. The Red Drum was just a little puppy, but I couldn’t care less. I was so excited. 

Very impressed with the area. Cleanest Florida Beach I’ve been to. 

Sounds like a good trip glad to hear it. Thanks for the report

6 hours ago, Badtothebugs said:

Glad it worked out, cant wait to see some pics

Here are some pictures!

Don't make fun of my redfish... it was fun on light tackle ok!? :howdy:

The puffer was awesome.

IMG_7536.PNG

IMG_7533.PNG

IMG_7532.PNG

IMG_7528.PNG

Not where you live, what you drive or the price tag on your clothes" -Zac Brown Band

"A leader is someone who keeps their head when everyone else is losing theirs." -Bryant Wright

Also, all of the fish you see were caught on a size 6 hook. It was a multispecies adventure. 

49 mins ago, Badtothebugs said:

That's awesome, glad you were able to get on some fish and enjoy our awesome coast. Spade fish a really good to eat ive heard. Next time I go to the pier I should focus on catching those cause the mackerel bite has been crap. What did you get the spadefish on?

I caught it on a light tackle rig using my cheapo but actually nice Zebco Stinger 20 and a cheapo Shakespeare rod. 

I used just a small piece of frozen shrimp I bought from the pay booth on a "Gulf Rig" from Walmart. Basically a drop shot/single dropper rig. Then I just used a Plain Shank All Purpose Eagle Claw Size 6 Hook and a 1/2 oz bank sinker. Worked like a dream on the pinfish and such.

I dropped that rig pretty much right on top of a piling.  

Edited by coastalfreak

Also, you might want to hear what's going on at the pier (from what I saw). 

Thousands and thousands of either pilchards/glass minnows (heck, they're baitfish) swarming the shallows right beyond the swimming people. There were a bunch of ladies, and maybe trout pushing those guys near the pilings and smacking them. I hooked my lady on a small Kastmaster spoon, although they were very interested in my Mirodines and stuff.