hunter123

Eel bags

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Other than carrying Eels in a bucket . What other way to keep them at the ready while fishing Jetties from the rocks. I have used the two 5 gal bucket routine, But want something easier to use and carry.

Edited by hunter123

Eel in a cheap ziplock bag - you hook the eel right through the bag and pull it though, so you want crappy cheap bags

Eels go in the big rear pocket with a small blue ice block

Pre-tied hook n leaders and egg sinkers in the small front pockets

Bag goes on your belt

BaggedEel.jpg.b9245e7219052298aa086f8ba8d18517.jpgSkinzBagLeadersSinkerSwivels.jpg.bbba3fef95df3e45acc3c9936524e10d.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

I know It's a little pricey, (most of my good gear is purchased with gift cards or gift cash) but my favorite "carries stuff" piece of equipment is my small Gear Up Belt Bag (their version of an Eel bag). It's the open one, (I also use the jig bag as well) with a small inside pocket. I shy away from shoulder packs because of some recent severe neck injuries. It holds on my belt solid. I use it for a lot of stuff and different targeted species, It's very versatile, bullet proof, and drains very well. I made home made plug tubes for it when I want to use it as a plug bag, holds everything I want to throw. If I'm fluke fishing it hold's my Gulp baits, lead, teasers, etc..... If I'm picking up garbage as I walk back it hols a lot of balloons. Oh, and it holds eels and other nasties that I don't usually fish with, but if I wanted to it would hold them well.

Best, Matt

Edited by mattyboyee

They dont suffocate in the plastic baggies? I mean I dont know how much air an eel needs, but I'd rather not head out for a night of live eel fishing with a bag full of asphyxiated eels. Lmao.

15 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Eel in a cheap ziplock bag - you hook the eel right through the bag and pull it though, so you want crappy cheap bags

Eels go in the big rear pocket with a small blue ice block

Pre-tied hook n leaders and egg sinkers in the small front pockets

Bag goes on your belt

BaggedEel.jpg.b9245e7219052298aa086f8ba8d18517.jpgSkinzBagLeadersSinkerSwivels.jpg.bbba3fef95df3e45acc3c9936524e10d.jpg

Thanks sudsy !!

I always just threw them in my lure bag tube head down with a couple of ice cubes but they were a bi*** to take out previous to that I just would go to the 99cent store and use a laundry bag but it always got snagged on rocks and my eels would be swimming south 

Also, those cheap kids lunch bags work good. Eels, wet rag, ice pack, and a piece of cloth to grab them.

Or put em in bags as Sudsy says, and toss em in the lunch bag.

20190803_084425.jpg

I use the mess laundry bag for live eels like Bill W said to do and it works well. Call me a jack ass But when one uses say a gear up eel pouch is that bag mainly for dead rigged eels? I would think live ones would get out   

Two linen dish towels stitched together to make a bag with a strip of velcro up top to close it.  Put eels and ice in wet bag.

Water and slime drains out.  Eels stay comatose until after being hooked and tossed in the water.  

Hose it off and hang dry when done.

Works great.

I don't eel much but usually use a mesh bag that I can clip on to my belt. Can dunk it if eels look tired. I have heard of some guys using plastic jars (like a big pickle jar or food service mayonnaise jar) and they drill it out and attache a rope (shoulder strap). 

20190804_083502.jpg.c7963adb6bba4465c576c6da18529e62.jpg

2 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

This. Clips right to my belt and he gives you a cloth to handle the eels. About $50 I think 

DA85B106-EDE7-4B49-81AC-B132780C2FBE.jpeg

8CBE76E4-EFA3-4EE1-A7CB-45DB26A0669B.jpeg

Got something similar to this at my local dive shop for $10

Edited by Big Biscuit