gellfex

Does W Sound porgying suck right now or do I?

5 posts in this topic

So I've made 2 trips in the last week and the 2nd yesterday sucked even worse than the 1st! I hit spots and marks I've caught lots of fish in past years and it was just brutal. Since I use a squid tipped jig I thought maybe it's my technique, so I put out a hi-lo with squid, and couldn't even get it stolen. I came close to catching more short fluke on my 1/2 oz bucktail than porgies! WTF? Did the storm Wed turn them off? Damn that was frustrating. Tolls, parking, bait, ice and gas for 1/2 doz small porgies and a big robin.

Fishing in general has sucked. Full moon tides, followed by the storm, followed by north winds, changing barometer. Not the best week to fish. Fished eastern sound last weekend. Tides were roaring. Water was a bit bumpy. Caught a bunch of just under legal size stripers, and a few small anorexic blues diamond jigging. Some seabass on the jigs, and porgies and seabass on bait. Porgies were on the small side.

I'm in the middle of the sound, not much better hear, though the chunk bite in deep water is sort of ok.

So east side, west side, all around the sound. FIshing is fair at best. On a brighter note local harbor is loaded with bunker finally.

Forgot to add. Recent outing to my always producing porgy spot, gave up one keeper porgy, and a large skate. Haven't caught one of those in a long time.

Thanks, misery loves company! The area here is literally carpeted with bunker, and nothing eating them. I was surrounded while fishing with flopping happy bunker.

The bite is on. Look at the Western Sound reports on the unmentionable report site that has a directional name.