Malsow

Canal Advice

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

43 mins ago, golden said:

More than half the people fishing it qualify as googan's.  Put them in waders at midnight on the outer beaches and see what happens. 

Shark bait :)

It's too late...me and some of my redneck friends saw pictures of that NY guy....we wanta get us some of that.

We'll try to be quiet for y'all…..

In days gone by, before the catch limits, when guys were making some of their living from the fish they caught, if you were ‘on’ and someone walked by, rod were lowered so as not to tip off the passerby.

Now smiling pictures holding a catch are the rule for many. And the public catching reports.

All we can do is try to improve what is. Hard to control people, places and things.

If someone asks my advise I give it freely, otherwise I do the best I can to be a good example and shut up.

35 mins ago, Somethingsfishy said:

In days gone by, before the catch limits, when guys were making some of their living from the fish they caught, if you were ‘on’ and someone walked by, rod were lowered so as not to tip off the passerby.

Now smiling pictures holding a catch are the rule for many. And the public catching reports.

All we can do is try to improve what is. Hard to control people, places and things.

If someone asks my advise I give it freely, otherwise I do the best I can to be a good example and shut up.

Some of us still do that. Love these new guys look at me. I got a fish. Take my picture look at my video. Watch me catch a bass. I live in NY never fished mass had a trip planed years back but me and a bud got on a good bite hard to leave when it was just us two on very good size fish. Now I would not even think about going to fish that area. But I will take family and Check some of the open beaches. 

20 hours ago, Somethingsfishy said:

The goal used to be simple: catch a nice fish.

Now the goal is: go viral. ;)

On 8/10/2019 at 9:04 PM, hydraman said:

Some of us still do that. Love these new guys look at me. I got a fish. Take my picture look at my video. Watch me catch a bass. 

And THAT ladies and gentlemen is really how the internet is ruining everything.   Everyone wants to post pictures of their:
* Fish

* Cairn (piled stones on a beach, stream, etc.)

* Drink

* Food

Things that used to be unique, private, intimate are suddenly overrun with an ever increasing population of ever increasingly bored people because the inspiration to do something and the information to do it in the easiest manner is in their hand and face 24/7 (their cell phone)    And in their process to be "just like that guy" they are ruining everything "that guy" stood for.   I stopped by "The Fisherman" statue last night on my way past the canal after fishing a beachfront for a few hours and asked him what he thought of the canal scene these days.  :(

On 8/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, greenmachine96 said:

Controversial or not I feel like the advice recently given on here, when it is given, seems to be no different than the advice on OTW, facebook, etc.

1) get proper gear (rod, reel, line, leader)

2) get some jigs

3) get some poppers

4) get some swimming plugs

No spots are burned here in public forums. If anything, this site allows people to read a list of tips rather than read a bigger article. Big whoop. If people want to go learn how to fish any spot in the world there is one way to do it, get prepared and then go fish it. If people don't want to learn and just want to catch they can pay for another report site and go cram canal spots. Have you considered that other resources contribute to the canal mess more than this site? 

Funny thing is those are the 4 rules of fishing anywhere..canal boat beach ect....lol..biggest thing to teach is the rules /order of casting in the ditch

15 mins ago, willcodfish said:

Funny thing is those are the 4 rules of fishing anywhere..canal boat beach ect....lol..biggest thing to teach is the rules /order of casting in the ditch

Lol. Facts. That begs the question of if it is possible to teach common sense..

5 mins ago, greenmachine96 said:

Lol. Facts. That begs the question of if it is possible to teach common sense..

Ron White said it best u can't fix stupid..lol..so there goes the common sense thing at the ditch..lol