Malsow

Canal Advice

Rate this topic

66 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, greenmachine96 said:

Controversial or not I feel like the advice recently given on here, when it is given, seems to be no different than the advice on OTW, facebook, etc.

1) get proper gear (rod, reel, line, leader)

2) get some jigs

3) get some poppers

4) get some swimming plugs

No spots are burned here in public forums. If anything, this site allows people to read a list of tips rather than read a bigger article. Big whoop. If people want to go learn how to fish any spot in the world there is one way to do it, get prepared and then go fish it. If people don't want to learn and just want to catch they can pay for another report site and go cram canal spots. Have you considered that other resources contribute to the canal mess more than this site? 

My point is that this advice has been given. It is a available in the archives and is easy to find. A simple Google search that includes "Cape Cod Canal" followed by rods, reels, fishing lure, etc will bring you to this site. 

Why not let some guy do his homework, review what has been posted and learn to fish the canal. Why complain about crowds if you're willing to spoon feed info to any one who asks?

2 hours ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Helping out is generally a good idea. This looks more like a guy stirring the pot simply to try and ruffle some feathers. The unamused here bust your stones and still more join in to clown around. Thanks for the help! :th:  

Can you say what you are trying to accomplish?

I was creating a topic of conversation.  I have read posts here related to crowd being to much, the need to change the culture of fishing, making the Canal C/R only, banning fishing along the Canal and on and on. Most of this will not happen. But something guys here could actually do is as I've suggested in this thread. 

Why is it so threatening? 

2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Would you rather fish next to Commander Clueless, and let him **** you up every other cast, or next to a guy who got some basic advice from guys who know their ****? :rolleyes: 

We have a forum here for gardening. It's called Cooking Your Catch, or the Foodeh in certain quarters. Pretty sure there's an ongoing gardening thread.

Information is already available to anyone seeking it. My view is that those who put in the most effort to learn are most likely to be good stewards of the sport. The least effort applied, most likely the riff-raff a lot of guys here complain about. 

On 8/1/2019 at 2:02 PM, Malsow said:

If everyone is so worried about the crowds at the canal, then why are people so quick to give advice to visiting fisherman. Why not let them struggle and not return? Instead, people here dole out advice and then complain that more and more are fishing the canal. 

There is a lot of info on this site already. Maybe an agreement should be made to no longer provide additional information. 

Took this from a thread in the main forum:

The problem is resources. The state does not have the man power to have EP's there all the time, and the state isn't spending any more money to do that. I still say shut the fishing down at the Canal. Let people learn how to fish beaches and such. Theres no learning curve at the Canal. There was many years ago before the internet. Now someone can come online, ask a bunchof questions about all the correct gear and techniques and be fully prepared. Then it's like shooting fish in a barrel, let the carnage begin. I say the ACOE should just close it to all fishing. Then many of the shady activity and illegal practices that go on there will end. Sure that stuff goes on elsewhere, but generally not on the same scale. It's amazing how many fish can be killed in a 7 mile stretch of water. People just get crazy and have no self control.

This too:

Also, those poachers and many others could have gotten their canal fish catching information from SOL. And some idiots around here are still offering up fish catching information to anybody & everybody for that place.

sorry dont know how to quote and move to here

1 hour ago, FoliFish said:

SOL.png

It's Called being contributing members.  

I bet a lot of canal regulars would like if you contributed to improving their experience by not advising every Joe dick or harry on how to fish the canal...

Crowds are there and there’s no putting that toothpaste back in the tube now.  Educated googans are better than uneducated googans

54 mins ago, FoliFish said:

Crowds are there and there’s no putting that toothpaste back in the tube now.  Educated googans are better than uneducated googans

I see guys using the right things but not doing the right things all the time. But if you say so....

6 hours ago, golden said:

The best thing that can happen to the canal is catch and release

When a googan catches a fish and mishandles it then it's dead anyways sadly

On 8/1/2019 at 2:29 PM, Malsow said:

Oh I'm with you! Don't look at my wife!!!!! 

My point is why the need to share?????? Then complain about those using it. Keep you're info to yourself. Let others learn by trial and error. There was a time that the canal was considered to be a challenging place to fish and that it was difficult. Those days are done; most likely to the overwhelming amount of guys giving all the hard earned knowledge and info away. 

If you've never asked a question about anything to do with fishing, you're entitled to this opinion. In which case, you have no need to come here and complain that we're too damn companionable and civil to utter newbees.

But I'm sure you asked questions and got answers, so don't strike an attitude. 

On 8/1/2019 at 5:34 PM, K Foley said:

I have not seen too much advice about fishing the 'Canal" other than the circus it has become. Not a lot of information  about how to fish the area other than it is crowded with people that don't give a rat's ass about the resource or their fellow fisherman. I don't know how anyone would think they learned something to help them of with things that have been posted here.

Good post. 

We would collectively cut the fingers off anyone who started giving out pole numbers, or identified places which are highly productive at a particular combination of tide, moon phase, daylight or night, and wind.  People with inadequate tackle make problems, people who don't know how to behave make problems ... if they're interested enough to come here, there is hope for them.

4 hours ago, aglenn said:

When a googan catches a fish and mishandles it then it's dead anyways sadly

More than half the people fishing it qualify as googan's.  Put them in waders at midnight on the outer beaches and see what happens.