Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, foxfai said:

Wow, great history! Never knew these things were a thing of the past. Love to hear more of these things like cod fishing in canal from you old timers. :)

Foxfai,

I only scratched the surface of eel skinning.  Fishing eel skins in the canal was a major aspect of canal fishing that's  all but gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

Most fish caught after dark were either caught bouncing worms or throwing eel skins. Due to the advent of plastics, it wouldn't surprise me that in few years eel skins fades from memory forever.

23 mins ago, bob_G said:

Foxfai,

I only scratched the surface of eel skinning.  Fishing eel skins in the canal was a major aspect of canal fishing that's  all but gone the way of the passenger pigeon.

Most fish caught after dark were either caught bouncing worms or throwing eel skins. Due to the advent of plastics, it wouldn't surprise me that in few years eel skins fades from memory forever.

Agreed. This is what we call a lost art replacing by newer technology. 

2 hours ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

im going to start fishing eelskins. my neighbor just cleaned out his shed and gave me a box of 3 and 4oz eelskin jigs.

Where will you get the skins?

5 mins ago, bob_G said:

Where will you get the skins?

Prob skin himself, ain't that hard. And there are still skins being fished this day

1 min ago, TonyO said:

Prob skin himself, ain't that hard. And there are still skins being fished this day

Ok, I get it. My eel skinnin days are over. :laugh: I still have dozen of unused rigs I bought off Mike Lombardi years ago that will never see the light of day.

10 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

catch my own eels and skin them. if i have to resort to buying eels i will do that. they are not hard to skin.

I've skinned a lot of eels, but plastics are too easy, not to mention cheaper when you pour your own.

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Had a great time, met a lot of nice, helpful people, learned a lot, and have some great memories.

Aside from 2 people deciding to set up 8 feet away from me one night(I just moved down another 50 feet), zero issues whatsoever. 

The CCC is a really special place.

On 8/14/2019 at 8:21 PM, Ed Z said:

Thanks for all the advice, folks!

Had a great time, met a lot of nice, helpful people, learned a lot, and have some great memories.

Aside from 2 people deciding to set up 8 feet away from me one night(I just moved down another 50 feet), zero issues whatsoever. 

The CCC is a really special place.

Thats the issue with the canal people have no concept of personal space.. 

Glad you had a good experience! My first visit to the canal was a good one as well. Other fisherman were friendly and didnt bother me at all.  However i went early in the season and caught mostly 25-30 inchers, still looking for the cow.  I have been hesitant about visiting the canal during summer as i read about all the horror stories on this forum.  

Did you have any luck?

2 mins ago, KujoRasta said:

Glad you had a good experience! My first visit to the canal was a good one as well. Other fisherman were friendly and didnt bother me at all.  However i went early in the season and caught mostly 25-30 inchers, still looking for the cow.  I have been hesitant about visiting the canal during summer as i read about all the horror stories on this forum.  

Did you have any luck?

What's wrong with 30" fish? I'd love to see a few.

21 mins ago, KujoRasta said:

Did you have any luck?

I can see people having problems if they are not courteous and respectful, or have a temper when people are not courteous to them. Having someone tangle you 3 casts in a row can start to get annoying.  I would just move to a different area. . 

I did catch some fish. Interestingly, it wasn't when common canal logic said I should have. Did not do as well at night or in the tides or spots I would have expected.

I've always believe your lure needs to be in the water to catch them. Several times no one else was fishing, or, they were just waiting around for the switch. I'd catch one, then 30 guys would be fishing. 

For one agonizing 45 minute period, I watched a massive blitz slowly make its way out of the canal, on the opposite side from me. They stayed around one spot by the barrel for a good 20 minutes until a boat decided to drive through them a few times trying to catch them. 

One of the most fun periods was my last morning, around 10:15am when the fog had just started to lift. I saw the water teaming about 200 yards down from me, 10 feet off the shore. It finally made its way to my area. Some guys hooked up close with smaller ones. I decided to see if the larger ones were further out. The magic swimmers, stick shads, jigs, etc, were coming up blank. I threw some top water which got smacked around hard but no hookups. Finally decided to defy wisdom, and put on a chartreuse Beachmaster Atom 40 and got the biggest of the trip. 

Still so so much to learn, that only time on the water will help. Looking forward to my next trip!

On 8/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, bob_G said:

What's wrong with 30" fish? I'd love to see a few.

Nothing wrong with the 30 inchers, they are still fun to catch.  I havent caught a huge cow yet so im just looking forward to that day! haha. It will come.  

On 8/23/2019 at 2:10 PM, Ed Z said:

I can see people having problems if they are not courteous and respectful, or have a temper when people are not courteous to them. Having someone tangle you 3 casts in a row can start to get annoying.  I would just move to a different area. . 

I did catch some fish. Interestingly, it wasn't when common canal logic said I should have. Did not do as well at night or in the tides or spots I would have expected.

I've always believe your lure needs to be in the water to catch them. Several times no one else was fishing, or, they were just waiting around for the switch. I'd catch one, then 30 guys would be fishing. 

For one agonizing 45 minute period, I watched a massive blitz slowly make its way out of the canal, on the opposite side from me. They stayed around one spot by the barrel for a good 20 minutes until a boat decided to drive through them a few times trying to catch them. 

One of the most fun periods was my last morning, around 10:15am when the fog had just started to lift. I saw the water teaming about 200 yards down from me, 10 feet off the shore. It finally made its way to my area. Some guys hooked up close with smaller ones. I decided to see if the larger ones were further out. The magic swimmers, stick shads, jigs, etc, were coming up blank. I threw some top water which got smacked around hard but no hookups. Finally decided to defy wisdom, and put on a chartreuse Beachmaster Atom 40 and got the biggest of the trip. 

Still so so much to learn, that only time on the water will help. Looking forward to my next trip!

Awesome! Sounds like a successful trip.  The canal is a beautiful place.