Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

And the headlamps!

Guy across the canal had it on well past daybreak.  I could see the beam all morning 

Had to be 1000 headlamps or more on the capeside yesterday morning. They were all moving pretty fast though. But they kept coming . . . and coming . . . 

21 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

Had to be 1000 headlamps or more on the capeside yesterday morning. They were all moving pretty fast though. But they kept coming . . . and coming . . . 

All headed east, riding fast on that blitz ;)

1 hour ago, Eagles Dare said:

They must go through a lot of batteries. :kook:

On 8/4/2019 at 1:31 PM, Wilgabeast said:

I'm from.dudley I'll link up with you if you want . I have been fishing the canal for years with much succesd

That would be great, thank you! 

I've read DJs book on the canal, but reading can only teach you so much.

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:37 PM, Eagles Dare said:

I always wondered what their friends say when they get blinded and lose their night vision.  

1 hour ago, PaulS said:

I always wondered what their friends say when they get blinded and lose their night vision.  

My comment was a little tongue in cheek. There was a biking event on the canal road. But I agree with you.

6 hours ago, Ed Z said:

That would be great, thank you! 

I've read DJs book on the canal, but reading can only teach you so much.

Message me and we will plan to meet up for a tide !

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 3:15 PM, clambellies said:

Last year there was also a gear manufacturer from NY and his crowd who would let their floating pencil poppers drift DOWN current a hundred yards before starting to pop them back.  Naturally when they hooked up they shut down everyone else below them for way too long.  Don't do that either.

That's when you want to break out the old tennis ball lure. The one with razor blades embedded in it. ;) 

Of course, back in the day, we didn't have to worry about being shot, so it's probably not a great idea now.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Ditch Jigger said:

That's when you want to break out the old tennis ball lure. The one with razor blades embedded in it. ;) 

Of course, back in the day, we didn't have to worry about being shot, so it's probably not a great idea now.

Also Mike, 

Something we forget to mention  eel skins. Those were the great equalizer. If you fished nights, eel skins we're almost your only option in the canal. 

You had to learn how to properly tie your own rigs. It would begin with selecting the right skins at the shop. Some guys never got proficient at that. :laugh:

The rigs needed to be kept in salt and refrigerated after use.  Learning to fish them wasn't easy. Mono didn't work, and braid was 25 years away. So Dacron was your only choice, 36 or 45 lb test. Spinning immedietly branded you a novice, and you'd get no respect. That left one choice, the then dreaded conventional. Either a Squidder or the difficult to cast Jigmaster. I began throwing a Squidder when I was 15, and it wasn't until I was 17 before I didn't embarrass myself.

Edited by bob_G

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

Also Mike, 

Something we forget to mention  eel skins. Those were the great equalizer. If you fished nights, eel skins we're almost your only option in the canal. 

You had to learn how to properly tie your own rigs. It would begin with selecting the right skins at the shop. Some guys never got proficient at that. :laugh:

The rigs needed to be kept in salt and refrigerated after use.  Learning to fish them wasn't easy. Mono didn't work, and braid was 25 years away. So Dacron was your only choice, 36 or 45 lb test. Spinning immedietly branded you a novice, and you'd get no respect. That left one choice, the then dreaded conventional. Either a Squidder or the difficult to cast Jigmaster. I began throwing a Squidder when I was 15, and it wasn't until I was 17 before I didn't embarrass myself.

Wow, great history! Never knew these things were a thing of the past. Love to hear more of these things like cod fishing in canal from you old timers. :)

6 mins ago, foxfai said:

Wow, great history! Never knew these things were a thing of the past. Love to hear more of these things like cod fishing in canal from you old timers. :)

You old timers?:laugh:

Ouch 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

You old timers?:laugh:

Ouch 

Well maybe that was wrong..... but I respect all of you guys.