Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, aglenn said:

I was fishing next to two guys from Montauk recently who caught 1 fish then proceeded to scream "Montauk baby!! that's how we do!!"  over and over... literally for an hour... don't do that when you come to the cape!

Last year there was also a gear manufacturer from NY and his crowd who would let their floating pencil poppers drift DOWN current a hundred yards before starting to pop them back.  Naturally when they hooked up they shut down everyone else below them for way too long.  Don't do that either.

I was next to three guys casting their pencils downcurrent yesterday, then monopolizing 100yds of shoreline as we had to wait for them to slowly reel back along the riprap edge. Also: Dont do that.

6 mins ago, rst3 said:

I was next to three guys casting their pencils downcurrent yesterday, then monopolizing 100yds of shoreline as we had to wait for them to slowly reel back along the riprap edge. Also: Dont do that.

I would have asked them to knock it off. Explain you can't fish if they persist. If they still are inconsiderate and refuse to comply, then I'd just act as if they weren't there and thrown right across their lines.

This is one of the reasons a lot of us skip morning btides these days. :argue:

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

I would have asked them to knock it off. Explain you can't fish if they persist. If they still are inconsiderate and refuse to comply, then I'd just act as if they weren't there and thrown right across their lines.

I wish I skipped this morning... Way too many people :banghd:

Was fishing popular spot during the week. 3 small fish. Man woman team get on each side of me friendly as anything.  Before I could say hayyyyy i couldn't make a cast.

Smoooth move.

12 hours ago, bob_G said:

Bob, I have constructively confronted other fishermen in the past at the canal. It usually works out just fine. I have also got into heated verbal exchanges with muggers and spot monopolizers that did not go so well. Regardless, yesterdays was a challenging situation that I'm not getting into on this forum. It would be like throwing gasoline out there for poor comments. It involved an older grandfather, the son, and his grandson. Out of staters. But I'll leave it at that. I just ended up leaving and caught fish elsewhere.

On ‎8‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 11:13 AM, bob_G said:

When i was young I often drive my truck across the ice from Waterfront Mary's to Indian Ranch.

In either the late 60's or early 70's, the Corvettes of Mass used to hold ice racing events on lake Webster, I think it was centered from a motel called Treasure Island if memory serves me right.   The races were endurance events of maybe 3 hours.

On Thursday, August 01, 2019 at 1:06 PM, Ed Z said:

Hi folks, headed to fish the canal Aug 12-14.

I'm originally from MA, a small town called Webster. Haven't been to the canal in 25+ years. Currently fish eastern end of LI from Shinnecock to Montauk.

Are waders and Korkers needed?

Currently planning on bringing a St Croix Mojo 11' 2-6 ounce, I'm assuming its stout enough? As a backup rod I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite 11' 1-4 ounce. Too light?

I have 2 milk crates filled with plugs and tins. Would rather not bring it all. From what I've read, bring the heaviest pencil poppers I have? I don't have any jigs 3-5 ounces, but will stop at a tackle store on the Cape to stock up.

What about things like Polaris popper, little neck popper, bottle darter, darters, SP minnows, etc? Are tins worth bringing for the long casting distance?

One of the gents I am going with is late 60s and not very mobile. I found a map of the canal from another site. Is it relatively easy access from the main access points or will he need to plan on walking 1/2 mile or more to get to uncrowded spots?

If things are slow at the canal, is it worth going to Buzzards Bay or Cape Code bay?

I just ordered DJ Mullers book on the canal and plan on reading it this weekend. Are there any other things I should know, be aware of, plan for?

Thank you in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it!!

Ed

I'm from.dudley I'll link up with you if you want . I have been fishing the canal for years with much succesd

19 hours ago, rst3 said:

Bob, I have constructively confronted other fishermen in the past at the canal. It usually works out just fine. I have also got into heated verbal exchanges with muggers and spot monopolizers that did not go so well. Regardless, yesterdays was a challenging situation that I'm not getting into on this forum. It would be like throwing gasoline out there for poor comments. It involved an older grandfather, the son, and his grandson. Out of staters. But I'll leave it at that. I just ended up leaving and caught fish elsewhere.

I'll bet they were from joisey. Those guys are the worst.

i have far better things to do than educate guys from joisey or anywhere else. this assinine ultra long drifting also occurs at night btw. and they'll accuse YOU of screwing up THEM. 

hitting the uncrowded beaches down south most of this week, not the canal. 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

this assinine ultra long drifting also occurs at night btw. and they'll accuse YOU of screwing up THEM. 

I can attest to that.  Holding the rod hockey stick style, so the line's 15' off the water.  I'm not sure if this is deliberate, and designed to run off the competition down current, or just ignorance? 

1 hour ago, bdowning said:

i have far better things to do than educate guys from joisey or anywhere else. this assinine ultra long drifting also occurs at night btw. and they'll accuse YOU of screwing up THEM. 

hitting the uncrowded beaches down south most of this week, not the canal. 

That's letting the terrorists win! I get it though. My story from yesterday. 4 am it's already shoulder to shoulder. This guy comes down with a 10 year old kid. Looks around and tells the kid "it's crowded, I'll stay here and set you up the other side of that guy (me).  Unreal. 

I told him I'd slide over the 10 ft of room he was putting the kid in so they'd be together. I got crossed twice, neither time by the kid. He was actually pretty aware of when to cast. 

Right, it very much depends on the crowd you're in. 2 times, meh, no big deal. But 5-6 times in an hour and it crosses the line for me (so to speak) from standing up to them to just plain stupid. I too actually try to "work it out" with the guy next to me. The problem is with later arrivals in the pitch dark who you can barely see 100 to 200 ft away and yet are long drifting that distance and well past it. Daytime's easier in some ways, but I don't do daytime for bass. :bucktooth: