Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you catch fishing the LI inlets the same strategy apllies to the canal.  

Late at night it is less crowded same as those inlets.

Edited by Captain Ahab

Waterfront Mary's is still there. Ice fishing has been scetchy the last few years. The days it seems safe is when I see guys out out by exit 1 on my way to work. Some guys take risks and go out with 4 by 4's.

I have not been out in a few years. I believe that some guy/s needed a rescue this past winter after breaking through. Too many areas where it is safe here, but not over there.

3 hours ago, bumknee said:

Waterfront Mary's is still there. Ice fishing has been scetchy the last few years. The days it seems safe is when I see guys out out by exit 1 on my way to work. Some guys take risks and go out with 4 by 4's.

I have not been out in a few years. I believe that some guy/s needed a rescue this past winter after breaking through. Too many areas where it is safe here, but not over there.

When i was young I often drive my truck across the ice from Waterfront Mary's to Indian Ranch.

I was fishing next to two guys from Montauk recently who caught 1 fish then proceeded to scream "Montauk baby!! that's how we do!!"  over and over... literally for an hour... don't do that when you come to the cape!

1 hour ago, aglenn said:

I was fishing next to two guys from Montauk recently who caught 1 fish then proceeded to scream "Montauk baby!! that's how we do!!"  over and over... literally for an hour... don't do that when you come to the cape!

In general that behavior is not accepted on the Cape though at the Canal it is come as you are and do as you please. I'm hoping one day we can all fish shoulder to shoulder from the RR Bridge to the end of the jetty at Scusset. We are the world! We are the children!!!

1 hour ago, bob_G said:

When i was young I often drive my truck across the ice from Waterfront Mary's to Indian Ranch.

Ice On Webster Lake Deemed Unsafe After Fisherman Rescued

March 3, 2019

Even though the temperatures outside have been cold, the Webster Fire Department is reminding area residents and visitors not to venture out onto the ice on Webster Lake.

In a message posted on the town’s website, “As Webster Lake is a spring fed lake, significant variation in ice thickness can potentially occur with little or no warning.”

The Webster Police and Fire Departments say they will “never” advise that the ice on Webster Lake is safe for any activities., however there are times during severe cold snaps that the ice is more safe than others.

The note also mentions, “snow covered ice can make it impossible to notice changes in ice appearance that could indicate thickness changes.”

Chief Brian Hickey of the Webster Fire Department asks that everyone remain off the ice.  “This morning an ice fisherman fell through and had to be rescued.”

The department asks that you call 911 immediately if you see a person or an animal fall through the ice.

“Do not under any circumstances attempt to reach and rescue the person or animal as there is strong likelihood the surrounding ice has been compromised and you could also become a victim.”

The fire department reminds you that “seconds count with near freezing water temperatures, so please request emergency assistance immediately.”

Also, the Webster Police and Fire Departments advise anyone who does venture out onto the ice on Webster Lake that they are doing so at their own risk and to exercise extreme caution and common sense.

I would not try that lately. These winters have stretches of warm weather, rain followed up by cold snaps. The lake is too big with springs, so it may be 10 inches of ice over here, but not over there.

In front of Waterfront Mary's, it does get pretty shallow, especially if you turn left towards the channel to North Pond, so with a sustained cold stretch, it may have been safer back in the day.

I was going through my garage that morning getting my tip-ups and other stuff ready that morning when I got an all-call about the rescue from WFD, which made the decision easy enough to bag it.

It was a Sunday, and I had seen guys out for the past couple of weeks on my way to work.

10 mins ago, bumknee said:

Ice On Webster Lake Deemed Unsafe After Fisherman Rescued

March 3, 2019

Even though the temperatures outside have been cold, the Webster Fire Department is reminding area residents and visitors not to venture out onto the ice on Webster Lake.

In a message posted on the town’s website, “As Webster Lake is a spring fed lake, significant variation in ice thickness can potentially occur with little or no warning.”

The Webster Police and Fire Departments say they will “never” advise that the ice on Webster Lake is safe for any activities., however there are times during severe cold snaps that the ice is more safe than others.

The note also mentions, “snow covered ice can make it impossible to notice changes in ice appearance that could indicate thickness changes.”

Chief Brian Hickey of the Webster Fire Department asks that everyone remain off the ice.  “This morning an ice fisherman fell through and had to be rescued.”

The department asks that you call 911 immediately if you see a person or an animal fall through the ice.

“Do not under any circumstances attempt to reach and rescue the person or animal as there is strong likelihood the surrounding ice has been compromised and you could also become a victim.”

The fire department reminds you that “seconds count with near freezing water temperatures, so please request emergency assistance immediately.”

Also, the Webster Police and Fire Departments advise anyone who does venture out onto the ice on Webster Lake that they are doing so at their own risk and to exercise extreme caution and common sense.

I would not try that lately. These winters have stretches of warm weather, rain followed up by cold snaps. The lake is too big with springs, so it may be 10 inches of ice over here, but not over there.

In front of Waterfront Mary's, it does get pretty shallow, especially if you turn left towards the channel to North Pond, so with a sustained cold stretch, it may have been safer back in the day.

I knew what I was doing. :)

8 hours ago, bumknee said:

Most people dont know how to properly check ice anyway. I was ice fishing Webster lake all season with no ice issues last year and I was constantly on a good solid 6 to 8in average. Some areas a foot or more. Some areas 4 to 5in. It varies and when in a location that is untested you need to spud every step and use good judgement. Webster freezes pretty good for a body of water its size.

5 hours ago, ermghoti said:

It would take a true dummy to try to fish the canal from the UK or Ireland.

Hey now, have you ever seen how some of those Brits can cast? :laugh: 

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Hey now, have you ever seen how some of those Brits can cast? :laugh: 

Yes, you have a point there. If anybody gets beaned with an inside-out lobworm and paternoster rig, it didn't come from the opposite bank.

Edited by ermghoti

On 8/1/2019 at 2:51 PM, bumknee said:

heyblue34-

" Ed, the Canal is a jhit show! Avoid it until later in the season when all of the riff raff, hooligans and mental defectives have dispersed back into their holes."

I live in Webster, and this sounds a lot like about 1/3 of the present population. I like this town even so, but they are are not going anywhere. Lots of town improvements-new police station, library, tear downs of abandoned properties, etc, but it is also source of cheap/subsidized housing, empty businesses downtown, packies, drugs, and people who refuse to work. In contrast, you have the people with the million dollar houses on the lake. I live in a nice neighborhood near the Thompson/Dudley border.

Good luck at the canal.

I know the area, i live in oxford 

On 8/1/2019 at 3:23 PM, Teambeefmaster said:

Boy I miss fishing The Web... say what's up to my pets in Reed Smith Cove.  The top water bite there this time of year is awesome!

My sister lives couple houses up from that cove

On 8/1/2019 at 7:03 PM, Ed Z said:

Thanks for all the advice folks, looking forward to the trip for many reasons now :)

Wow, what are the odds other folks from Webster are on this forum, and in this thread? I still use the lake name when I talk to people about my home town, gets a chuckle every time. 

People from all over on this sight, i went and saw a zeppelin cover band last weekend at indian ranch, 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:55 PM, z-man said:

Is your friend with mobility issues ok with climbing down the rocks to get to the water?  Some areas are steeper than others but the only place without rocks is the fishing pier at Scussett or the bulkhead at the East End Cape Side.  You will probably have to walk a ways to get away from the crowds. 

I grew up in northeast CT and would go to Webster to bowl or eat at Win Tiki which I think are both still open. I also remember driving by the Fuzzy Grape. 

Fuzzy grape....lol

Gentlemens club now...classy 

On 8/1/2019 at 9:14 PM, bob_G said:

My fav ice fishing place used to be in front of Waterfront Mary's.

Big deep hole there, every year a big fish comes from that spot.

When i was 16 i remember 20 inches of ice