Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

85 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, heyblue34 said:

This hurts me more than it will you: A book about the Canal written by a guy who lives in Jersey...

If the guy catches fish he catches fish. Or he was a con-artist that steals people's money for guided trips. If the guy spends his life chasing stripers, I'm inclined to think he at least knows something about fishing, but that is just my opinion. Either way, are you implying that the book sucks and has no accurate information? I only ask because I read it, as an out-of-stater who moved to the area that wanted to be less ignorant and more knowledgeable when fishing the canal. I'm curious if you and others, as canal regulars, think the information and tips in there are valid or worthless? I would guess that Ed would be curious to know that too before his trip. 

20 years ago, if you asked about needing waders and Korkers, most of the Canal regulars would bust a gut laughing. Nowadays, everyone and his brother are fishing in waders, and many are wearing Korkers. In almost 50 years of fishing the place, the only places where I wore waders were places where I could actually wade.

I also lived on LI for many years. Think of the Canal as Shinnecock or Moriches on steroids, and you'll do fine. It's nothing more than a 7 mile long inlet.

Thanks for all the advice folks, looking forward to the trip for many reasons now :)

Wow, what are the odds other folks from Webster are on this forum, and in this thread? I still use the lake name when I talk to people about my home town, gets a chuckle every time. 

3 hours ago, greenmachine96 said:

If the guy catches fish he catches fish. Or he was a con-artist that steals people's money for guided trips. If the guy spends his life chasing stripers, I'm inclined to think he at least knows something about fishing, but that is just my opinion. Either way, are you implying that the book sucks and has no accurate information? I only ask because I read it, as an out-of-stater who moved to the area that wanted to be less ignorant and more knowledgeable when fishing the canal. I'm curious if you and others, as canal regulars, think the information and tips in there are valid or worthless? I would guess that Ed would be curious to know that too before his trip. 

Just read the book. It won't hurt. 

7 hours ago, Ed Z said:

Hi folks, headed to fish the canal Aug 12-14.

I'm originally from MA, a small town called Webster. Haven't been to the canal in 25+ years. Currently fish eastern end of LI from Shinnecock to Montauk.

Are waders and Korkers needed?

Currently planning on bringing a St Croix Mojo 11' 2-6 ounce, I'm assuming its stout enough? As a backup rod I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite 11' 1-4 ounce. Too light?

I have 2 milk crates filled with plugs and tins. Would rather not bring it all. From what I've read, bring the heaviest pencil poppers I have? I don't have any jigs 3-5 ounces, but will stop at a tackle store on the Cape to stock up.

What about things like Polaris popper, little neck popper, bottle darter, darters, SP minnows, etc? Are tins worth bringing for the long casting distance?

One of the gents I am going with is late 60s and not very mobile. I found a map of the canal from another site. Is it relatively easy access from the main access points or will he need to plan on walking 1/2 mile or more to get to uncrowded spots?

If things are slow at the canal, is it worth going to Buzzards Bay or Cape Code bay?

I just ordered DJ Mullers book on the canal and plan on reading it this weekend. Are there any other things I should know, be aware of, plan for?

Thank you in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it!!

Ed

Is your friend with mobility issues ok with climbing down the rocks to get to the water?  Some areas are steeper than others but the only place without rocks is the fishing pier at Scussett or the bulkhead at the East End Cape Side.  You will probably have to walk a ways to get away from the crowds. 

I grew up in northeast CT and would go to Webster to bowl or eat at Win Tiki which I think are both still open. I also remember driving by the Fuzzy Grape. 

The Fuzzy Grape! That brings back memories. I remember the uproar it caused when it opened. Growing up, the lake and the bowling alley/arcade were pretty much the only things to do until we got licenses, then Auburn Mall was the big thing until the Centrum opened. And the Wind Tiki never checked IDs to see if we were old enough. 

With regards to climbing down the rocks, I supposed he could do it once, maybe twice over the course of the evening with help, but he won't be run and gun like I tend to be (if a spot is slow, try another). So even on weekdays its going to be a zoo? I fished the north side of Montauk last night and was the only soul around for hours. Seems weekdays are much quieter there.

2 hours ago, Ed Z said:

Thanks for all the advice folks, looking forward to the trip for many reasons now :)

Wow, what are the odds other folks from Webster are on this forum, and in this thread? I still use the lake name when I talk to people about my home town, gets a chuckle every time. 

My fav ice fishing place used to be in front of Waterfront Mary's.

4 mins ago, bob_G said:

My fav ice fishing place used to be in front of Waterfront Mary's.

Is that place still there? Mary was a bit on the odd side from what I remember...

2 mins ago, Ed Z said:

Is that place still there? Mary was a bit on the odd side from what I remember...

Dont know? My dad was a wholesale liquor salesman and that was his account.  She used to let me park there when I was a kid.

10 hours ago, bdowning said:

For safety reasons, chain mail and a weapons cache are always a good idea.

Now your just being dramatic.......a helmet and lead pipe will do.

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 hours ago, greenmachine96 said:

2113F33E-B721-4055-B148-E4D971D77DB6.png

Edited by heyblue34