Ed Z

Gearing up for a canal trip, need advice

Rate this topic

89 posts in this topic

Hi folks, headed to fish the canal Aug 12-14.

I'm originally from MA, a small town called Webster. Haven't been to the canal in 25+ years. Currently fish eastern end of LI from Shinnecock to Montauk.

Are waders and Korkers needed?

Currently planning on bringing a St Croix Mojo 11' 2-6 ounce, I'm assuming its stout enough? As a backup rod I have a Tsunami Airwave Elite 11' 1-4 ounce. Too light?

I have 2 milk crates filled with plugs and tins. Would rather not bring it all. From what I've read, bring the heaviest pencil poppers I have? I don't have any jigs 3-5 ounces, but will stop at a tackle store on the Cape to stock up.

What about things like Polaris popper, little neck popper, bottle darter, darters, SP minnows, etc? Are tins worth bringing for the long casting distance?

One of the gents I am going with is late 60s and not very mobile. I found a map of the canal from another site. Is it relatively easy access from the main access points or will he need to plan on walking 1/2 mile or more to get to uncrowded spots?

If things are slow at the canal, is it worth going to Buzzards Bay or Cape Code bay?

I just ordered DJ Mullers book on the canal and plan on reading it this weekend. Are there any other things I should know, be aware of, plan for?

Thank you in advance for any help, I greatly appreciate it!!

Ed

Ed, the Canal is a jhit show! Avoid it until later in the season when all of the riff raff, hooligans and mental defectives have dispersed back into their holes. 

I appreciate the advice, unfortunately its my only window, as friends booked a boat charter out of Dennisport on the 12th, and after driving all that way it only made sense to spend a few days at the canal. 

When would you recommend for the best action and least nuts?

Jigs 3-5oz (paddle tails)

sebiles

3oz pencils

Give away the canal book written by a guy from jersey :)

24 mins ago, greenmachine96 said:

@ged I thought Muller is a fairly well respected guide all up and down the coast. Sure he isn’t a daily canal guy, but does his book not have useful info? 

:point:

1 hour ago, Ed Z said:

I appreciate the advice, unfortunately its my only window, as friends booked a boat charter out of Dennisport on the 12th, and after driving all that way it only made sense to spend a few days at the canal. 

When would you recommend for the best action and least nuts?

Seriously anyone with any sanity would want to avoid the Canal until late in the season. Just read about someone’s rods being stolen not to mention the strange occurrences at Area 51. Perhaps you should think about hitting the national seashore since you are going to be on Cape. 

You can can park at Nauset at night or get a pass for Coast Guard from the seashore headquarters. Lots of beach, lots of seals (in the Canal too), and their sharp toothed friends. 

heyblue34-

" Ed, the Canal is a jhit show! Avoid it until later in the season when all of the riff raff, hooligans and mental defectives have dispersed back into their holes."

I live in Webster, and this sounds a lot like about 1/3 of the present population. I like this town even so, but they are are not going anywhere. Lots of town improvements-new police station, library, tear downs of abandoned properties, etc, but it is also source of cheap/subsidized housing, empty businesses downtown, packies, drugs, and people who refuse to work. In contrast, you have the people with the million dollar houses on the lake. I live in a nice neighborhood near the Thompson/Dudley border.

Good luck at the canal.

28 mins ago, greenmachine96 said:

tell me more? was asking an honest question haha 

This hurts me more than it will you: A book about the Canal written by a guy who lives in Jersey...

I sold my boat-nice little 14 ft. starcraft with 15 hp suzuki-perfect for the lake. I fished that cove many times, but it has become a sh## show on weekends and holidays with out of town jet skis and people showing up at the town and state ramps trashing the place. I used to pay $5 for five years access to to the town beach, but the town has raised prices for yearly rates. The descriptions of the behavior at the town and state beaches are very similar to what you hear and see at the canal, although in Webster, it is not all about fishing, but all day marathons of people taking over spaces and ruining it for others. Webster PD now has a mobile tower with a live feed to the station to monitor poor behavior at the ramps -both town and state.

I just go out now in my kayak or canoe on weekdays when I can get out. Sometimes some dick in a jet ski gunned it towards me to try to swamp me while you are trying to land a fish.

I now have one spot I can pull up to to get my lab in the water retrieving the stick or frisbee to get her excecise and cool off during these hot days.