Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WeeHooker

Anything going on with Native Watercraft?

4 posts in this topic

I've been seeing more than a few brand new 2-3 year old Native Watercraft yaks on the net for sale from kayak shops.  I'm also seeing less of them being stocked at yak dealers around my area. Lastly, I'm seeing the "out of stock/ Not available" notice on a growing number of their accessories when I look online.  

Is something going on with the company that I've missed?  

I don’t think there is a problem, new products coming out soon, and two of my friends  just bought brand new 2016 Hobies. Dealers a lot if time don’t want to carry too much inventory. I don’t feel there is anything to worry about.....Jack

Posted (edited) · Report post

Depends who you ask. Plenty of people purchase without demoing and end up flipping soon after. I own a Titan 12 and a slayer 10. Love them and wouldn’t reconsider any other pedal drive yaks after demoing all the other top brands. The hull shapes, layouts and drive were to my preference, but at that I demoed and Atleast got my hands on Jackson’s, Old Town, Hobie. None of them did it for me and I have no regrets. * You can call me a Native fan, and for my purposes they are as good as it gets. I have heard some dealers not even offering to service the propel drives, a red flag for that dealers capability imo. As an amateur  mechanic I am quite happy with the design and ability to service the drives and have had no major issues in 3 years of ownership. All pedal drives will need maintenance. I found Hobies back and forth pedaling to be unsuitable for me, and the pull to reverse a non starter. FWIW I fish mostly fresh water for bass, with a fraction of time spent in the salt. The Titan is as stable a fishing platform as I care to own, can do headstands on it. The slayer is a quick grab and go boat for drop ins that I can’t comfortably bring the Titan down to. If given the choice between a PA and Titan I would take the Titan every time. That said I know many content Hobie owners, and am glad these top tier brands are competing. Unlike years ago when Hobie was the only game in town. My neighbor has a Revo and loves it, we swapped boats for an hour and both were happy with our decisions, different strokes..

Edited by TimS
we don’t promote FB groups here

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just to be clear, I don't need selling on the company.  I think they make good boats that are well thought out..  I had an 08' Ultimate 12 that served me well (as part of my small fleet) for 10 years. It was my go to boat for allot of my calm water light tackle/ fly fishing. I reciently sold that Ultimate 12 to a friend and immediatly had sellers remorse.  Sure my FeelFree Lure 11.5 is a luxury machine for bass bugging but it weighs 100# rigged.  As I get older, there are days when I just don't feel like lugging it around. The Ultimate hull is near 1/2 that . It was never  my choice for open water striper fishing but a very good boat for getting into small places without a ramp ( including a striper rich estuaries. ) Anyway, I noted the above anomalies  when I was researching replacing the Ultimate with something light weight . Turns out I  found a new leftover 2017 FX12  at 30+% off  right down the road. I really liked the upgrades/ changes to the FX over my older basic  Ultimate so decided to undo my mistake..  Got the front hatch coming ( at 50% off). Trying to find a few other storage related  accessories now but they are largely out of stock. In any case,  I plan to have a happy 10 year relationship with this one too. 

IMG_20190731_103322098 (1).jpg

Edited by WeeHooker