UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

275 posts in this topic

Bite was decent today, got plenty of crabs and tide was already coming in by the time I was done.  Took about an hour to find a hole that was holding fish but once I did landed about 8 with my one keeper at 15.5”

A little more surf action this morning then there has been the past few days making it look a bit more fishy.  Water continues to warm up and the ocean outside of the break line is flat as a lake.  Could see some macs jumping way out of casting range.  Fished the popper early and came up with one that measured out at 25 inches.  Switched over to the bugs but nothing was interested.  Packed it in a bit early again with all the Saturday beach folks coming in.

DSCF2779.JPG

My gf and I were relaxing on a beach in OcCo after dinner Thursday when a small bluefish blitz started boiling in front of us.  Birds circling around and diving to the water.  And me with no rod :banghd:     

4 hours ago, GeoffT said:

My gf and I were relaxing on a beach in OcCo after dinner Thursday when a small bluefish blitz started boiling in front of us.  Birds circling around and diving to the water.  And me with no rod :banghd:     

I guess different rods are for different applications.

Last night 730-9pm.  O County. Last hurrah for the family.  (Back home as I type this). No kingfish on fishbites. No luck on fluke. Once the sun disappeared the snappers moved in like they own the place.  Wife and kids had fun. Not one fish over 10". Lol. 3 bucktails destroyed and a bag of gulp gone. Lol. All fish released. 

6 hours ago, Rkfool said:

Bite was decent today, got plenty of crabs and tide was already coming in by the time I was done.  Took about an hour to find a hole that was holding fish but once I did landed about 8 with my one keeper at 15.5”

15.5” keeper?? Where you fishing Fool?

1 hour ago, Fishlessjoe said:

15.5” keeper?? Where you fishing Fool?

Lol not talking about fluke. I made two posts one from much earlier in the morning which I guess you did not see

MoCo 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM    fished the bottom half of the tide.    South east wind at 10 to 15  didn't help my casting with my light rod.  Saw some birds working down the beach that seemed to be coming my way.  I kind had to wait for them to get to me cause there were people swimming near the activity.     Didn't take long, they were moving pretty fast. and  they were in casting range..    I had them in front of me for about a minute  or so...  Had one on, but it came off before I could get a look.   there were some other guys there that landed one and they were just snappers.   They also picked up a nice keeper fluke.     About an hour later I hooked up again, felt really small, dropped that one too..    Skunk 

15 hours ago, UncleJohn said:

MoCo 1:00 PM to 3:30 PM    fished the bottom half of the tide.    South east wind at 10 to 15  didn't help my casting with my light rod.  Saw some birds working down the beach that seemed to be coming my way.  I kind had to wait for them to get to me cause there were people swimming near the activity.     Didn't take long, they were moving pretty fast. and  they were in casting range..    I had them in front of me for about a minute  or so...  Had one on, but it came off before I could get a look.   there were some other guys there that landed one and they were just snappers.   They also picked up a nice keeper fluke.     About an hour later I hooked up again, felt really small, dropped that one too..    Skunk 

You dropped a Skunk! Which way were you casting?

went with wife to a bay side beach in M.C. 

She went swimming I went a fluking. She had a better swim then I had fishing. One other guy had a small fluke. Other wise nothing. Plenty of bait and snappers around. 

Slow out back cmc 330 to 530. Water a bit brown from the ssw winds. Only saw small baits hugging the sides. Found a small flounder maybe 11" in a shallow section. Moved to a deeper spot and got a few taps from some pests. Expected sea bass but found a little porgy instead. Need this water to clean up.

20190804_182227.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

The Empress wanted a beach day. I said yes only if we get there before sunrise. She surprisingly said ok. No wind for most of the morning, water cold, clear and foamy. Thought the bass would be home. Incoming tide to start...nothing. Beginning of outgoing the wind picked up NE...nada. Middle of outgoing I thought I snagged weed or a garbage bag on my retrieve. Finally, I felt a little head shake at the lip and thought skate. Turned out to be a 20” fluke and my first keeper fluke from the surf. I was a little disappointed that it hardly gave a fight. Saved from the skunk with a keeper.

A445B9D5-1042-41B1-A335-FC2DED6E7DF3.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee