UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

275 posts in this topic

Out front in lower OC from 6-9.  Caught two short fluke and lost a third.  Guy next to me caught this beast.

5F6D762F-FE3D-4599-AD5E-B80FDCB4E8EC.jpeg

MOCO out front at sunrise this morning.  Several snappers and this striped bass on surface plug.  The bass was a fun surprise.  Actually it was all fun as I never had any success plugging before.

Striped Bass Aug 2019.JPG

Flat ocean with no moving water doesn't make for great fishing conditions.  Water is staying warm right now and with a light east wind might get even warmer, but forecast is calling for the SSE wind to be back later today.  Got the triple header, but all in mini size.  One fluke, one striper and one blue and that was it.  Still not much bait around where I was but a diver told me he saw lots of rays moving around.  Glad I missed out on those things.  Should be back out in the morning.  Some nice colors as the sun came up.

DSCF2777.JPG

20 mins ago, Still Trying said:

MOCO out front at sunrise this morning.  Several snappers and this striped bass on surface plug.  The bass was a fun surprise.  Actually it was all fun as I never had any success plugging before.

I think is no other feeling like having a nice fish like that one strike your top water..

Fished O C out front, 7 to 9 no bait no fish, only saw one short fluke and he spit out a sand eel.  Maybe a good fall run this year?  Coffee and pancakes and a nap!

3 mins ago, gcjeep14 said:

Fished O C out front, 7 to 9 no bait no fish, only saw one short fluke and he spit out a sand eel.  Maybe a good fall run this year?  Coffee and pancakes and a nap!

Doubtful. 

I've learned to hit the albies hard in later September thru October. Get my fix in that way lol

9 hours ago, Still Trying said:

Cool first plug catch dude :)

11 hours ago, Still Trying said:

Nice job. On the old school original sinking popper.  Some things never go out of style ( for good reason). PS. That’s a huge clip. Try the tactical anglers clips next time your shopping. I switched years ago and love them. 

17 mins ago, nj charlie said:

Nice job. On the old school original sinking popper.  Some things never go out of style ( for good reason). PS. That’s a huge clip. Try the tactical anglers clips next time your shopping. I switched years ago and love them. 

Yea, I was pretty psyched with the action this morning.  And thanks for the advice on the clip.  Looked big to me but I had no other options in my tackle.  I will check out your suggestion.  

Atom popper catch? That’s one fantastic way to usher in a lifetime of plugging up bass. For one thing, I have multiple Atom poppers and haven’t caught a cold on them. (Wife keeps buying them for me for Christmas. )

:howdy:

Up super early to hopefully catch low tide and a bucket full of Asian crabs for when the sun comes up!! Tog might be my favorite! Hopefully they bite as well this year as they did 2017

19 hours ago, Jimo95 said:

Out front in lower OC from 6-9.  Caught two short fluke and lost a third.  Guy next to me caught this beast.

5F6D762F-FE3D-4599-AD5E-B80FDCB4E8EC.jpeg

Holy Cr@p, that looks like something out of a Godzilla movie. Check out the size of the barb...

Out front IBSP yesterday morning. I got tired of feeding the snappers my gulp so I put on old faithful and got this 21" guy. Tried fluking again later but no luck.

IMG_20190802_071600210.jpg

MoCo out front this AM. Incoming tide. Flat ocean and no wind. Tried poppers and SP minnows to see if any bass were around. Gave up and had 7 fluke up to 16”. Tried a couple of the new gulp colors. Same ol’ stuff. They didn’t toughen up the material. Left before the crowds started coming.

3027A339-FB55-4F32-981A-0C727C57DC9F.jpeg