UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

426 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Wind......how come no one is out throwing jigs.

You are right...Gunna try this afternoon with the tide. Was just down there. Metal only out front. Do stiff from the east.  Might go out back later on for more choices and maybe some less angry water. Last year around this time I had a strange hot streak of small local stripers in the 22-26in class. Hoping for a repeat.

O C today wind still N NE 15-20 and water looked like a washing machine. Headed to the back, to give it a try and found small bait and some small fish chasing.  Fished for two hours, one small blue and clean, calm water, also plenty of kayak activity, but not too many fish.

Fishing the Hook for snappers grandson landed a 17.5 inch fluke his first this year. He released the fish on his own though I know dinner was on his mind. Lots of small bait in the river as well as peanuts and small bunker5 to 6 inches.

20190826_130631_HDR.jpg

Hoped to get some bass with that heavy east wind and cool temps last night, but nothing but 2 very small blues. Fishable conditions, but certainly not ideal. Next couple days seem a little better.

Get a Rapala Slash Bait XR10....remove small trebles and ad VMC 1/0 single at mid location facing forward and fish on light set-up....catch fish.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Past few weeks has been all short fluke, lots of blues, and the occasional spanish/bonito for me. Only 4 keepers from the suds for me this year which, considering how many hours I've put in, is alarming.

Last night I worked a small bucktail around some rocks and managed two stripers around 20".

This morning tried for fluke again, but the surf was still a bit too churned up to keep the Little Tykes fluke that are in the wash hooked. Had a few hits, but left with the skunk. 

Hit out back (Ocean County). Great looking water. Tons of bait. Managed a few schoolies on the fly, sand eel imitation. Great day.20190827_204636.jpg.d7827bb3008f1683020c4b344479923f.jpg

Edit - Please read the first post in the thread ~ Sudsy

Edited by Sudsy

Any tips for fishing out front in this high wind, rough seas during a high tide?   Your thoughts on dragging a tipped bucktail or even a heavy spoon thru this?

Edited by kayak99

20 mins ago, kayak99 said:

Any tips for fishing out front in this high wind, rough seas during a high tide?   Your thoughts on dragging a tipped bucktail or even a heavy spoon thru this?

Maybe a heavy needle or AVA. 

Should have went out this morning but the lack of fish around here has not made me upset about hitting the snooze button. It's that time of year for a different plan.