August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

5 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Out front OC last night. Blowing east. All the cocktails blues you wanted and one hit that crushed my line but dropped him. Probably a bigger blue the way it got hit.

This AM the wind still blowing in my face and continued to explore out front MoCo. Nice cool foamy surf. Started with a BT but was too light into the wind. Switched to metal and casted close to a rock pile. Thought I got snagged but got lucky with a bass. Must’ve pissed off the gods because I wind knotted again with the same reel as last time. Went back to switch rods and on my 3 or 4th cast I snapped off my lure...at least no Skunk.

BAF927C6-2E79-4875-BC52-FBC73337867C.jpeg

Great job.

Nice looking fish.

JD

Guy in my  marina got an 11 lb'er / fluke the other day on a Peruvian Smelt he bought in the supermarket..........

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Was a good day to be out today with my two boys. Thought it was going to be a bass day but the "blues" made their presence up to 3lbs. At midday the Spaniards show up(Goldy they came in!!). I brought in 5 and donated like 5 lures as they were pretty thick for about 15mins. Cut through 50lb flouro. Kids were pretty excited to see them. Blues were fun and from the bait observed, looks like good things to come.  East winds made nice cuts and the water definitely cooled down a bit from weeks heat. --Moco some where on the beach out front.

5 hours ago, coldclam said:

Its doable, not as hard as it seems. 

I've been there many times lol.

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

Finally replaced mine this week. Cheapest & smallest one at the local B&T was still $60. 

3 hours ago, CharlieK said:

Repairing a cast net is an art and I don't have it. I use my good nets on the open sandy beaches with no snags around and I save my repaired ones for spots that I know could be trouble, like off the rocks .

I've waded along jetties at dead low tide and have found complete nets tangled in the rocks. Usually by that time they are not salvageable so I just cut them loose to avoid problems for anglers when they are covered with water.

I didn't even bother to check how bad the damage is yet. Ripped it off and kept the maybe 6 peanuts that didn't get out and wrapped it up. At least 3 of the braille lines are loose, not sure about any of the mesh. Had that one for 2 years. The previous one was lost due to not paying attention while scrambling for a bait school after a miss. Throw was perfect and landed where it needed to, just forgot to loop the rope around my wrist. Bye Bye cast net. 

I'll take a look at it but not sure if i feel like trying to fix it. 

5 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Was a good day to be out today with my two boys. Thought it was going to be a bass day but the "blues" made their presence up to 3lbs. At midday the Spaniards show up(Goldy they came in!!). I brought in 5 and donated like 5 lures as they were pretty thick for about 15mins. Cut through 50lb flouro. Kids were pretty excited to see them. Blues were fun and from the bait observed, looks like good things to come.  East winds made nice cuts and the water definitely cooled down a bit from weeks heat. --Moco some where on the beach out front.

Congrats!

Did they bite lure off of leader! or did they bit swivel?

5Olb, so seems lb test doesn’t really matter?

im trying to figure these Spanish out.

Looking tomorrow through Monday in OC. Hope I’m not too far S.

Best Regards everyone 

JD

Out front for a little bit today. Water was colder than it has been as of recently with lots of stuff in the water. Tried drifting bugs around but that was hard and not a tap. Eventually got a small blue on a Zoom Fluke but that was it for my night. Saw someone else pull something small out which I think was a small blue as well. Didn't see much bait or any activity around other than that.

55 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Congrats!

Did they bite lure off of leader! or did they bit swivel?

5Olb, so seems lb test doesn’t really matter?

im trying to figure these Spanish out.

Looking tomorrow through Monday in OC. Hope I’m not too far S.

Best Regards everyone 

JD

You won’t be too far S.  They’re all over down here near BI.

8 hours ago, rwp2101 said:

6 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Spanish weren't cutting through 50 lb. Bigger blues maybe, but not spanish... check your knots. 

5 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

NoMoCo.....back bay on a 6wgt. Good fight from the 3lb bluefish. Peanuts (the size of a peanut) to 4" small bunker all over the place. An all synthetic Bob Pop Hollow Flye was a killer as well as a yellow Gurgler. Fun fish'n.

20190813_190316.jpg

5 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

NoMoCo.....back bay on a 6wgt. Good fight from the 3lb bluefish. Peanuts (the size of a peanut) to 4" small bunker all over the place. An all synthetic Bob Pop Hollow Flye was a killer as well as a yellow Gurgler. Fun fish'n.

20190813_190316.jpg

Nice!

Agreed, they really are a lot of fun on light tackle.

JD

6 hours ago, SIC34 said:

Spanish weren't cutting through 50 lb. Bigger blues maybe, but not spanish... check your knots. 

Okay thanks!

8 hours ago, rwp2101 said:

Awesome, great news.

I'll be working hard to find and entice one of those little beauties.

Thanks!

JD

Out back last night walked up to the most frustrating fishing scenario around. Cinder worm hatch. Bass busting everywhere for hours with no lulls.  A few large bass constantly slurping the surface sounding like a gabarage disposal. Managed to fool one small one on a plug. They wouldn’t sniff any of my teasers so I went for the exact opposite of matching the hatch trying to draw some strikes with bigger plugs. No dice. A fly guy that was there did ok. Super frustrating. 

2 hours ago, jrzyripper said:

Out back last night walked up to the most frustrating fishing scenario around. Cinder worm hatch. Bass busting everywhere for hours with no lulls.  A few large bass constantly slurping the surface sounding like a gabarage disposal. Managed to fool one small one on a plug. They wouldn’t sniff any of my teasers so I went for the exact opposite of matching the hatch trying to draw some strikes with bigger plugs. No dice. A fly guy that was there did ok. Super frustrating. 

Bay or beach? 

I've never seen a hatch but hear it can be frustrating.

Crushed barbs save fish, keep that rod bent! 

• Sudsy locked this topic