UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

321 posts in this topic

Supposed to take the kids fishing & crabbing today. Rain poured down before we got out. During the storm, my 7 ft one piece rod in the minivan while I ran errands. Needless to say, I made it into a two piece rod. :-(

On a brighter note, there have been some bait balls lately out front here in CMC. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MC55 said:

Welcome home.  I'm doing the Alaska cruise and land tour Sept 4th.  Looking forward to it.

56 mins ago, DeeMonee said:

Welcome back Sudsy. Sounds like you had the same itinerary as I had. Did you go to Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria as well? Yes, being off the grid is nice once in a while.

Start getting your liver in shape now

And yep, that's the trip we did, the Norwegian Bliss cruise ship

The one thing i would have done over would have been to buy a quality camera and not relied on the phone cam

If you haven't booked any excursions in Ketchikan go off the boat, call Pirate float plane tours and do the hour 15 flight - awesome !!! 

You can do it through the ship if you want to piss away an extra $100 - that goes for virtually every excursion at every stop

20190809_103206.jpg.12f6c020e5fb4afb054c5af02251a844.jpg20190809_104636.jpg.8aeac443208a7e03b44d668631253b9a.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

Field dresssing that fluke ,Cut behind gill opening (from side to side)and pull out everything attached. Gills and stomach come right out with a good tug . Than just flush in the surf .Scissors work really well .

Trying new spots out front MoCo this week. Hitting the middle to end of incoming tide. Threw out some plugs and rubber to see if the bass are around. Nobody home. Picking short fluke and cocktail blues. Water has been clean and clear.

11 hours ago, Sudsy said:

Start getting your liver in shape now

And yep, that's the trip we did, the Norwegian Bliss cruise ship

The one thing i would have done over would have been to buy a quality camera and not relied on the phone cam

If you haven't booked any excursions in Ketchikan go off the boat, call Pirate float plane tours and do the hour 15 flight - awesome !!! 

You can do it through the ship if you want to piss away an extra $100 - that goes for virtually every excursion at every stop

20190809_103206.jpg.12f6c020e5fb4afb054c5af02251a844.jpg20190809_104636.jpg.8aeac443208a7e03b44d668631253b9a.jpg

Nice! It was raining all day when we were in Ketchikan.

Out back cmc this morning. No breeze, calm conditions, and a thick fog. Maybe 25 yd visibility. Could hear the blues hitting the surface but couldn't see them so was casting blindly. Took a few minutes but they moved a little closer and started to bite. Pulled in maybe 8-9 of them, lost a couple, found another small weakfish maybe 10" in the mix. Few cownoses swimming by as well. Part that i can't believe about the blues is that when they are hooked they are not concerned about the lure in their mouth and being pulled in, they just keep chasing after the bait they see as they are getting closer. Savages. Probably try to find some bait in the morning. 

Edited by FunkyBunker

Managed to avoid most of the rain this morning and even found a few fish.  Had another triple today with a small blue, 3 fluke and 3 stripes.  Everything today on the small sand eel.  Stripes were all small in that 20 inch range but feisty with the cooler water.  Wind has shifted to the ENE so should start to see the surf rolling a bit more along with warmer water.  Hope to see some moving water in the morning.

23 hours ago, JerseySwells said:

Can anyone ID this baitfish? Saw a bunch of them this weekend and it doesn't look like peanut bunker to me

Don't think that is a snapper . . . looks like a yoy herring to me.

21 hours ago, ACFishing said:

Id believe this to be the remains of a cownose ray or another related species.

Edited by Jsunkler
I was mistaken

3 mins ago, Jsunkler said:

Rays/skates have white flesh. Id bet it was a tuna rack or another pelagic species that someone hacked up for shark bait. Too much blue and gray in the skin and red meat for a ray in my opinion. 

Nope

52 mins ago, BillHoo said:

I've heard Cownose Rays have red bloody flesh and taste somewhat like pork.

I believe they do, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, this wasn't a ray. The skin color was nothing like a cownose ray (can't speak for all possible rays), and the shape of the pieces of carcass suggested a normal fish shape. For example, there was a long, intact bloodline cut out of it.

It looked very much like something out of the tuna family. Except if they were hacking it up for shark bait, why remove the bloodline? 

17 mins ago, camelCase69 said:

I believe they do, but as I mentioned in an earlier post, this wasn't a ray. The skin color was nothing like a cownose ray (can't speak for all possible rays), and the shape of the pieces of carcass suggested a normal fish shape. For example, there was a long, intact bloodline cut out of it.

It looked very much like something out of the tuna family. Except if they were hacking it up for shark bait, why remove the bloodline? 

Quite possibly a tuna.  Wasn't it a year or so ago where a guy was flounder fishing around Cape May on a jetty and a bluefin tuna leapt out of the water and landed on the rocks?