UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

275 posts in this topic

Lotsa life on the beach this am. Got my first Spanish Mac ..they were jumping at first light but wouldn’t hit my deadly dick. Switched to a more realistic jig and got one. Then the small blues stole the show. Tough to hook anything else but blues. Got away from them long enough to fluke a little. Shorts.  Everyone puking up anchovies and tiny bunker. 

EF5F5453-5F60-440F-9788-18298F5E0399.jpeg

96134871-5ED2-47C8-9833-CDA5A69918A1.jpeg

268F6623-3302-4C16-B6F3-F686A30D9D53.jpeg

1 hour ago, nj charlie said:

Lotsa life on the beach this am. Got my first Spanish Mac ..they were jumping at first light but wouldn’t hit my deadly dick. Switched to a more realistic jig and got one. Then the small blues stole the show. Tough to hook anything else but blues. Got away from them long enough to fluke a little. Shorts.  Everyone puking up anchovies and tiny bunker. 

268F6623-3302-4C16-B6F3-F686A30D9D53.jpeg

Can anyone ID this baitfish? Saw a bunch of them this weekend and it doesn't look like peanut bunker to me

8 mins ago, JerseySwells said:

Can anyone ID this baitfish? Saw a bunch of them this weekend and it doesn't look like peanut bunker to me

Its a small snapper bluefish  

Better morning today then yesterday even with the south wind.  Yesterday found all kinds of small bait around but couldn't find anything that was interested.  This morning the water temp dropped from the wind and didn't see any signs of bait around but found some fish.  Landed four with biggest at 25 inches, lost one and had a few more bumps.  One on a popper and the others on my small sand eel soft plastic.  Tried bugs but not great condition with really no outbound moving water.  Wind is forecast to turn all the way to NE later tomorrow morning and stick around for awhile.  Might help liven things up a bit.

DSCF2787.JPG

It's really small for mid August.   I have heard that bluefish do not all breed at the same time.     Snappers that size are going to have a hard time during the fall migration  ...

On 8/12/2019 at 10:05 AM, camelCase69 said:

Fishing was slow out front MoCo this morning. I did find the remains of a fish someone had cleaned on the beach. Anyone have any guesses what it might be? The flesh was red, almost salmony. There was a big red bloodline also cut out of it. The skin didn't have any of the markings that bonito and albies are supposed to have.

P82A00861.jpg

P82A00851.jpg

Id believe this to be the remains of a cownose ray or another related species.

I'm back from an Alaskan cruise with no cell signal whatsoever (Sprint) for the past 8 days - it was wonderful, cell phones are the bane of our modern existence

Was everyone good ? 

Fishing report:

Brought a travel setup but never got to use it. The two towns we spend enough time in dock at to fish, Skagway and Juneau, had water that looked like milk from glacial runoff, almost all silica and no fish in the water.

Made up for it by drinking more in one week than I have in the past 5 years combined (that may actually be true)

Edited by Sudsy

1 hour ago, ACFishing said:

Id believe this to be the remains of a cownose ray or another related species.

Somebody whacking up a ray for shark bait ??

typically have decent middle and end of augusts n its kicked off for me as of yest. this eve..8 blues. 1 small striper. all on top. what a blast. blues in the 2-5lb range. bait everywhere. 

Edited by joefishnj21

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

I'm back from an Alaskan cruise with no cell signal whatsoever (Sprint) for the past 8 days - it was wonderful, cell phones are the bane of our modern existence

Was everyone good ? 

Fishing report:

Brought a travel setup but never got to use it. The two towns we spend enough time in dock at to fish, Skagway and Juneau, had water that looked like milk from glacial runoff, almost all silica and no fish in the water.

Made up for it by drinking more in one week than I have in the past 5 years combined (that may actually be true)

Welcome home.  I'm doing the Alaska cruise and land tour Sept 4th.  Looking forward to it.

1 hour ago, Sudsy said:

Was everyone good ? 

Fishing report:

Welcome back Sudsy. Sounds like you had the same itinerary as I had. Did you go to Glacier Bay, Ketchikan and Victoria as well? Yes, being off the grid is nice once in a while.