August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

UncleJohn

6 hours ago, Slowwwride said:

Poked around out back this morning 5-7:30. Didn't see much going on left with the skunk... a lot of salad in the water where I was

Poking around out back, left with the skunk, and a lot of salad was there?

Sounds like your college years must’ve been a little more experimental than mine. #justsayin 

I have been out in the yak and I can say there is a lot of flounder just not the size to bring home. It's silly how much bunker is around also. I've been playing around with the small stuff and have been bringing home puffers, Mack's, triggers, etc. I'll tell you what. They can be a pain at times to locate but man they are some fine eating specimens. Also just some new stuff to teach the kids. Getting that fall itch. Going to be switching full time ocean surf in a few weeks. I can finally see some east winds stacking up in the forecast to get the surf going and some sand moving.

Out front today drifting some bugs around. Tough bite. Got a small striper around 14" and had a few hook ups that got off pretty quickly. Once it got dark had a skate come by and practically suck on my toes... Definitely skeeved me out for the next half hour. Poor guy got stuck and I had to help him back in.

Pretty uneventful so far down here in SOC...pickin' away at fluke in the wash every day for the last few weeks and nothin' over 17"...Kings made a showing again on Thursday. Heard a local fella was sent 3 feet into the air when something big hit is paddle board in Ship Bottom...said the only thing he saw was a huge fin and also he's not going back into the water, I believe it was on the news Thursady....Hmmmm....could it be.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

26 mins ago, Goldy said:

After looking all summer i was finally able to get one.  

All the cocktails you want and mixed in were mackeral and all out blitzes. 

It was fun chasing them. Almost felt like albies. The chasing part only

AB47DDE9-05D8-4958-8702-C851FA0B8017.jpeg

C1513D14-EDDB-4CF9-871B-93B0623292EA.jpeg

Congrats!

Very nicely done. 

That’s my next goal. One of the little pelagics from the surf.

Tnanks for sharing great pics!

Such a cool looking fish.

JD

On 8/10/2019 at 9:26 AM, jjdbike said:

Let me get this straight:

1. Someone posted on a computer web site, on a report thread.

2. I asked them a question about what they reported.

3. You’re on a computer reading this same report.

4. You're criticizing me for being on a computer?

I never implied that I depend on my computer. I do enjoy this site and have learned quite a lot, met some really greate people, made some good friends that I am honored to fish with on occasion.

Unfortunaly I am required to use a computer more than I’m comfortable with for work and graduate course work. My computer skills leave a lot to be desired and my job and academics suffer because of it honestly. 

To be too honest, I’m bored and way too far inland. It’s been too long since I’ve surf fished and I’m planning a long overdue trip next week. I plan on, and do get out there and enjoy every chance I get.

Again, I simply asked a question about a report on a report page.

I’m having a hard time understanding that while you were reading the same web site I was, you criticized me for posting on it.

I’m not upset or offended. No apology needed. I’m just confused about the purpose of your post.

Respetfully,

JD 

23 hours ago, oneeyewilly said:

Jd, I didn’t realize my post would come off as critical / hostile to you as it did . Like I stated right off the bat , I’m old & crabby . My thing is I’m doing this a  l o n g time . I’m not so hard headed that I don’t see value in technology . Use it all the time , i guess the proliferation of sites that provide info on things that took myself & a lot of others years & years of hard work & skunks annoys me to some extent . Your pointe is valid , with limited time , it can be helpful to narrow down your best options . But , that is my pointe . Drive to the shore , put in the time not to mention the $ , lack of sleep, skunk . Drive home all the while figuring out what did or didn’t work , try again . Close to half a century of learning by doing . I’ve seen the resource rise & fall, all the tech. that’s making it easier to find & catch a dwindling resource just can’t be good . You said not to , however I will, apologize for coming off the way I did . Best of luck to you . It’s tough out there. A shut the eff up would have made me chuckle . It’s all good . Bill J 

Willy, not need to apologize, someone needs to get some thicker skin. 

50 mins ago, Goldy said:

What did you think of the fight? Lots of people targeting these fish, I’ve probably caught a 1/2 dozen and I think a 1lb cocktail fights better then these Mack’s but the eats are pretty good.

If you use eclairs in your example, he will get it right away. MikeMc

Just now, JMB said:

Willy, not need to apologize, someone needs to get some thicker skin. 

What did you think of the fight? Lots of people targeting these fish, I’ve probably caught a 1/2 dozen and I think a 1lb cocktail fights better then these Mack’s but the eats are pretty good.

The hype didnt live up to my expectations. 

Def not albies

1 hour ago, Goldy said:

Awesome !!      I'm still trying, but I haven't been able to find them....    And when I can get out, I cant find a spot that is not choked with Surfers and Bathers....

Were you able to stay with them for any amount of time or did they just come in and then gone ....

Edited by UncleJohn

5 mins ago, UncleJohn said:

Awesome !!      I'm still trying, but I haven't been able to find them....    And when I can get out, I cant find a spot that is not choked with Surfers and Bathers....

Were you able to stay with them for any amount of time or did they just come in and then gone ....

I chased them 100yds in each direction.   They were moving fast.   But they were mixed in with cocktails.  

• Sudsy locked this topic