UncleJohn

August 2019 Fishing Reports

Rate this topic

275 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Front and back of Moco yest evening from 6:30 till 8. In the back, bait everywhere, snapper city, bathwater warm. No luck. Same thing out front just a bit cooler. Skunk.

Worst summer ever in terms of surf fishing and its not even close at least for me. Please let the calendar change get things going.

Edited by joefishnj21

Out in Moco and ran into a blitz of cocktail blues on a mix of spearing and peanuts, probably landed over 40 cocktails on various lures before the weather turned nasty

1 hour ago, joefishnj21 said:

Please let the calendar change get things going.

To August ?

Traditionally my worst surf fishing month of the year (fishable year, eff Jan and Feb) 

Think the reports will be in a bit of a rut for awhile.  Need a wind shift or coastal storm to shake things up a bit.  Another quiet morning foe me.  For the most part a flat surf and warmer water now that the south wind stopped.  Found a couple of small blues and a couple of small fluke.  No birds picking and just a few spots that had small patches of happy bait.  Warmer water might get the macs active again, but the stripes have gone quiet. Maybe tomorrow.

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

To August ?

Traditionally my worst surf fishing month of the year (fishable year, eff Jan and Feb) 

just keepin hope alive brother

2 hours ago, Sudsy said:

To August ?

Looking at your best the worst can’t be that far off . :)

Out front in lower OC from 5-8 in morning.  Only 2 small fluke from the surf.  Feels like the water may have warmed a little...  others near me but didn’t see them catch anything including one guy who was dead sticking it.

1 hour ago, levari said:

Looking at your best the worst can’t be that far off . :)

Any month suds takes off is a great month.  

Plenty of bait in the surf this morning. Just tiny blues were on them. No love on kingfish rigs for an hour. No luck on bucktail with gulp.  Highlight of the morning was an osprey snatched something from a bait ball 50 yards in front of us. Was either a blue or a bunker in the 8-10" range.  

Will try again tonight after dinner. 

Fried Kingfish filets for dinner/apps followed by a couple steaks from Oakies. 

25 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

Any month suds takes off is a great month.  

5d43404ab3e44_Sarcasticlaugh.gif.707f2900492b512b49ed593cbf810a11.gif

4 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

We need to discuss this.  I've never flayed one.  

Honestly it's easy. Very similar to a 10-12" snapper blue. Here are the filets my younger son dipped and breaded. The meat is probably cooked in 2 minutes but I do a few minutes a side just to get some browning.  I'll try to remember to take a picture. Egg wash with JO crab seasoning. Italian bread crumbs. Hot oil. Disregard the old Bay.  Lol. 

IMG_20190801_154527603.jpg