Have $1500 to spend

Rate this topic

Tcx82

Hi guys, 

I just came back recently to surf fishing after few years break because of work. Anyway I'm looking for a surf bomber setup up around $1500 (1 rod 1 reel). I like to fish with cut baits, seat and wait type of fishing . Mainly at Assateague Island. Thank you for the input. 

5 mins ago, sbcbmx112 said:

Do yourself a favor: cut the budget in half & pocket the rest.  Or get 2 setups.  IMO you don't need a VS250 & a carbon fiber rod to chunk bait...

If you want serious recommendations you'll at least need to specify spinning or conventional.

Good advice, or maybe into thirds.

"Thats as big as a fish that size gets" - Russ Wilson
RIP JM

I been using diawa saltist 5500 for chunking this season and it’s got about 15 good sharks and some dinosaur rays on it and has been a pleasure to fish .. paired with penn battalion 11’ .. very nice setup for around 300$ and change .. I don’t think ya need anything more to chunk with .. could go even cheaper and still be fine 

Forget about fishing and take your wife to nice dinner.

Bad day fishing is still much better than good day work.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a much closer look at the American Indian.
                                                                                     - Henry Ford-

Lamiglas 11 MH -450$

Shimano Stella -1000 $

More of a Montauk classic setup.

if you will be on the beach a baitcaster might be a better option than a spinner. 

By the way I’m still learning but wanted to let you know what is considered top tier as far as factory built rod. There are more options for you. Keep researching my friend. Tight lines!

Edited by jeffapeikin
Added some more to the suggested rod and reel

9 hours ago, Tcx82 said:

Hi guys, 

I just came back recently to surf fishing after few years break because of work. Anyway I'm looking for a surf bomber setup up around $1500 (1 rod 1 reel). I like to fish with cut baits, seat and wait type of fishing . Mainly at Assateague Island. Thank you for the input. 

Check out the DelMarVa Forum on here.  You'll get some more area/technique specific advice on there. Most of us prefer to fish multiple rods. That kind of $ would fund several quality setups. 

6 hours ago, sbcbmx112 said:

If you want serious recommendations you'll at least need to specify spinning or conventional.

This will help tremendously as well.

Edited by AI GUY

Daiwa Saltiga Star Drag SASD15H MagSealed Conventional

On a 

St Croix 12' Mojo 6 - 16 oz 

Spooled with top quality line, still under $750

I would kill for that setup but i just don't chuck bait enough to justify it.

5d42346ba0b12_Daiwasaltiga.jpg.aec4ce2f3d0d02289d5889f4b0177358.jpg

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962