Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve_M

What’s your favorite offshore yak

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

What’s your favorite kayak with a peddle drive for getting out through the surf and fishing offshore? And what makes it your favorite. I’m going to buy a new one soon and I’m just thinking out of the box. 

Edited by Steve_M

I've only fished offshore in 1 pedal kayak, a Hobie Outback, but I can strongly recommend it. Supposedly the 2019s are a tad wetter and less offshore capable as the 2015-2018 outbacks, but you definitely want to look into that. The Hobie Revo, as stated above, is a great offshore boat, it really slices through the waves. However, you trade speed for stability between the 2 boats, and the outback's stability is what won me over, so I got a 2018 last year. I took it 5 miles offshore at Oak Island, and felt very comfortable with it out there, albeit during ideal conditions. I've also been offshore a couple miles in another outback in FL, in windier conditions, and it again felt very stable. If you're going to be chasing fast moving fish like false albacore, or spanish mackerel, you may lean towards a revo, but I think the outback might be the better overall choice. 

Absolutely the outback.  IMHO a trade off in stability for speed in a yak used miles out is ridiculous.. that far out your first priority is staying IN your kayak.. 

Outback has served me well for many years. Stable, reliable, and plenty fast enough. 

1 hour ago, cheech said:

You asked two questions.

Fishing offshore- Outback

Getting through the surf- Revolution

What he said. I upgraded from a revo 13 to a 2019 outback. Outback is way more comfortable and stable but it is a wet ride. I launched the outback 3 times in the surf so far. the first launch was a bit rough and a big wave came over the bow and slapped me in the nuts. Outback is also slow in turning where the revo could pull a tight 180.