mattyboyee

WHAT WOULD YOU DO/SAY- if anything? Anglers Cutting up Short Fluke on Rocks for Bait.

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business[which most americans can't do],not worth catching a case when the police show up.

not worth going to jail for years because an idiot pulls a gun and most know it is very possible.

unless one wants trouble then go ahead.

HH

People wanna kill each other over wearing a red hat...imagine over an illegal fish......

2 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

People wanna kill each other over wearing a red hat...imagine over an illegal fish......

very good mention,didn't think of that.

just today a guy came in a walmart and shot some folks he knew so imagnine if he didn't.

HH

On 7/30/2019 at 9:07 PM, Baccigalup said:

Keep the rangers number on your phone. Take a pic and report them. 

Maybe there should be a poaching forum to post public pics of the morons who do that.

THIS

All of the above.

If you dont call people out and monitor the ocmmunity and resource, you cannot expect behaviors to improve.  Yes, its touchy, but saying something is the right thing.  Calling LEO and taking pics is.  You HAVE to call them out.  

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

just today a guy came in a walmart and shot some folks he knew so imagnine if he didn't.

HH

Obviously an extreme example. Everyone has their own comfort level with these things, but for the most part folks aren’t getting shot/stabbed over fish. If you’re uncomfortable, by all means don’t say anything but at least report the incident to the proper authorities. 

On 7/30/2019 at 11:38 PM, Popasilov said:

Very touchy subject.

Smart thing to do would be to call DEC officer

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

He didnt shoot everyone he didnt know.  He only shot people he knew.  

I am not advocating physically stopping them, just saying something.  And then call warden.   Hell, maybe the guy will have regret in his voice. "yeah, I know.  I gut hooked one bad and didnt want it to go to waste".  

If saying something like "that fish is a bit under 19, no?" elicits an "FU", then fine.  At least he/she knows they are being observed.  If it elicits a threat, knife, brandish, then the guy is going away.  He just upped it, call LEO, and his days of fishing are coming to an end.

How many people got shot randomly last year while fishing?  Like, none.  

On 7/30/2019 at 11:50 PM, Terry Mac said:

Its here, started today! :howdy:

The guy with that baby shark on the boat...  really?! Thats a seriously poor case of photoshopping.  

3 hours ago, vinnyb said:

Obviously an extreme example. Everyone has their own comfort level with these things, but for the most part folks aren’t getting shot/stabbed over fish. If you’re uncomfortable, by all means don’t say anything but at least report the incident to the proper authorities. 

seems that extreme is becoming sort of normal today.

what I am saying for me is that I know ME and if I say something like "hey,you know that fish is short" and one of them or the one person gets confrontational including a weapon,,,I will do what needs to be done.

now that being said,I did say earlier that I always mind my own business and don't appreciate someone else minding my business and I will inform them of that.

I might say something,I may not.

making a call to the dep would happen.

where I come from people are not the calmest to deal with.

HH

3 hours ago, 55555s said:

He didnt shoot everyone he didnt know.  He only shot people he knew.  

I am not advocating physically stopping them, just saying something.  And then call warden.   Hell, maybe the guy will have regret in his voice. "yeah, I know.  I gut hooked one bad and didnt want it to go to waste".  

If saying something like "that fish is a bit under 19, no?" elicits an "FU", then fine.  At least he/she knows they are being observed.  If it elicits a threat, knife, brandish, then the guy is going away.  He just upped it, call LEO, and his days of fishing are coming to an end.

How many people got shot randomly last year while fishing?  Like, none.  

I didn't say he shot everyone he didn't know,you see what I wrote.

and would you like to be the first shot because you said something about breaking rules to someone you don't know?

HH

9 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

I didn't say he shot everyone he didn't know,you see what I wrote.

and would you like to be the first shot because you said something about breaking rules to someone you don't know?

HH

I know you didnt.    I read it.   Perhaps I was snarky or incomplete.  Apologies.  My real point is the vast majority of people who get shot are shot by someone they know.  Many others are shot by someone involved in a violent crime.  You can just as easily de-escalate an event by turning and walking away.  Shooting someone who calls you out?   Its so rare so as to be a non event.  

As for saying something, I have an continue to say exactly something.  I do it literally all the time.  The only time i dont is if my young kids are present.  Strike that.  If they are present i chose my words more carefully.   I may ask what the legal posession limit is etc.  So as to educate but not provoke.

I think the strongest weapon we have is a collective show of intolerance to those who abuse the resource.   We dont have to be aggressive about it, but we shouldnt shirk just out of fear for the 1 in i billion (literally) nutcase who will shoot you if you approach them. 

15 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

seems that extreme is becoming sort of normal today.

what I am saying for me is that I know ME and if I say something like "hey,you know that fish is short" and one of them or the one person gets confrontational including a weapon,,,I will do what needs to be done.

now that being said,I did say earlier that I always mind my own business and don't appreciate someone else minding my business and I will inform them of that.

I might say something,I may not.

making a call to the dep would happen.

where I come from people are not the calmest to deal with.

HH

Extreme, by definition, is out of the norm ;-).  But I hear ya.  Trust me - if I sense a situation to be dicey, I'm not going to put myself in a potential danger over a short fish.  But I think in MOST situations, a carefully worded comment will not put you (or the perp) in the ER :).  Just use common sense & trust your gut. 

3 mins ago, 55555s said:

I think the strongest weapon we have is a collective show of intolerance to those who abuse the resource.   We dont have to be aggressive about it, but we shouldnt shirk just out of fear for the 1 in i billion (literally) nutcase who will shoot you if you approach them. 

Well said.

44 mins ago, 55555s said:

I know you didnt.    I read it.   Perhaps I was snarky or incomplete.  Apologies.  My real point is the vast majority of people who get shot are shot by someone they know.  Many others are shot by someone involved in a violent crime.  You can just as easily de-escalate an event by turning and walking away.  Shooting someone who calls you out?   Its so rare so as to be a non event.  

As for saying something, I have an continue to say exactly something.  I do it literally all the time.  The only time i dont is if my young kids are present.  Strike that.  If they are present i chose my words more carefully.   I may ask what the legal posession limit is etc.  So as to educate but not provoke.

indeed true.

when one is dealing with people that may be less fortunate it can become very hairy.

I admire your words but,I have seen some being very active in making words into something bad.

I'll honor my choice to use the 5th,,,most times.

no need or want to become some statistic.

HH

50 mins ago, vinnyb said:

Extreme, by definition, is out of the norm ;-).  But I hear ya.  Trust me - if I sense a situation to be dicey, I'm not going to put myself in a potential danger over a short fish.  But I think in MOST situations, a carefully worded comment will not put you (or the perp) in the ER :).  Just use common sense & trust your gut. 

I agree,,,and your last typing here,,,thats an always.

HH

18 mins ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

dealing with people that may be less fortunate

Yeah, I dont know. 

I probably earn about 1/3 of what the average SOL member does, and less than that not long ago.  LOL, I think maybe a bunch of you may look at me (or if you peeked at my W2's) and think I am the guy who is less fortunate!  LOL.   A moral compass isnt predicated on someone's net worth.  

I jest.  A little.    I hear you.