mattyboyee

WHAT WOULD YOU DO/SAY- if anything? Anglers Cutting up Short Fluke on Rocks for Bait.

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, this is something that I see sometimes, at least once a season, walking on the rocks at the inlet I like to go to. A group of anglers cutting up caught, short (1/2 the legal size) fluke for bait!!! 1. How do some of you react, what do you say/do (if anything?). 2. More important to me is what do you want to do or say, but don't?

Edited by mattyboyee

People are nuts today to confront especially if you are alone and they aren't.  I dont have a death wish.  Keep the rangers number on your phone. Take a pic and report them.  Maybe there should be a poaching forum to post public pics of the morons who do that.

Agreed. There’s some people out there who feel entitled to do as they see fit, and have no problem brandishing weapons to intimidate others in order to do so. Look at the craziness in mass the past few weeks. We’d all like to say something, but society as a whole is changing and Id rather not die over a short fish. Call EPO. Here in CT they’re usually pretty good about showing up in a timely manor

Report it but I wouldn’t confront them directly.  Let someone who gets paid to do that handle that task.

Anything that helps with positive ID is a good thing, such as a license plate number or car description if you can get it.

2 hours ago, Baccigalup said:

Maybe there should be a poaching forum to post public pics of the morons who do that.

Its here, started today! :howdy:

Nowadays, do not EVER try to show a parent their child's inappropriate behavior, and what should be expected from of them instead. 

It used to be... we feared another parent calling ours. 

It is a sad telling of how America has fallen so low, that we fear speaking truth. You'd probably end up on youtube getting a beatdown if you went too far explaining fishing regs. 

However, a simple, gentle sentence such as "aw man, i could have legally caught that fish after it grew up" would not seem like an "attack" on the anglers while still getting the point across, and without risk to your safety if "they viewed you as confrontational" for speaking the truth. 

Edited to add: photographing them is highly confrontational, so do it discreetly, and then report it appropriately. 

Edited by cityevader

1 hour ago, cityevader said:

Nowadays, do not EVER try to show a parent their child's inappropriate behavior, and what should be expected from of them instead. 

It used to be... we feared another parent calling ours. 

It is a sad telling of how America has fallen so low, that we fear speaking truth. You'd probably end up on youtube getting a beatdown if you went too far explaining fishing regs. 

However, a simple, gentle sentence such as "aw man, i could have legally caught that fish after it grew up" would not seem like an "attack" on the anglers while still getting the point across, and without risk to your safety if "they viewed you as confrontational" for speaking the truth. 

Edited to add: photographing them is highly confrontational, so do it discreetly, and then report it appropriately. 

I kinda like the idea  of standing over them and going........

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW

YOU KILLED A LITTLE BABY

Maybe shrieking like a mother, loudly of killing babies, would indeed break the goofy social bubbles that folks erect in order bully their own agendas. 

I for one, would shy away from said shrieking person without any personal introspection, if they were spewing such things as "Why didn't you use your bleepin' blinker?! It's THE LAW to use your turn signal!" all the while filming me, watching them watching me. 

But given food for thought, they might think. 

I used to walk right on by many a mutilated skate on the beach, or walk by people fishing off rock piles with 5-10 dead and cut up skate dying in the water at their feet, but those days are gone. Now I'm fairly confrontational, but I do realize that it can be dangerous, so after evaluating the area and the target "audience", I'll weigh my options. I always at least report blatant poaching activities though, or ones like the killing of skates, which were just out of sheer anger and laziness to release them. The last person I confronted about the skate issue was standing by a few dead or dying ones rotting in the sun off a fishing pier in NC, I questioned him to see if he knew who had left those like that and he supposedly didn't...so I just walked up to each one and flipped it back into the water, most of them survived just fine, but a few were goners. I don't mind keeping fish at all, in fact I'm often one to do so, but just killing them for no reason, and slowly at that, no bueno. 

I usually can't just let things like this go, so I'd probably say something like "You are aware that  fish is short - right?"  At least now they know that others have noticed their illegal activity & may think twice the next time. But don't be confrontational - a fish isn't worth throwing hands over ;-)

I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business[which most americans can't do],not worth catching a case when the police show up.

not worth going to jail for years because an idiot pulls a gun and most know it is very possible.

unless one wants trouble then go ahead.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter