cityevader

Mysterious losses of Kastmasters...plus how to use 'em better??

Rate this topic

34 posts in this topic

It's an oddity. I've lost four Kastmasters so far (two 3/4oz, one 1/2oz, one 1oz) during the cast. The line just breaks mid-flight for some reason. This hasn't happened with similarly weighted bucktails, nor any other rig, just the Kastmasters. (I typically start my surf-fishing-trips using lures, to get a feel for the water's movements, and in general hopes of hooking a large fish, then move on to smaller Carolina rigs for Perch).

FWIW I use a Tactical Angler Clip to the lure, then leader and swivel as usual....and 14-20# braid....and it has always broken above the swivel. 

Odd...very odd.

But my main question is to better understand how to use them. When they are in full motion, they swing quite wildly from side to side and give strong feedback up the line to the rod. But that side-to-side movement is so very pronounced when viewed coming to me in the shallows, that I imagine it doesn't appear natural to swim left/right so hard for any length of time, so should I "never" let it go full tilt buzzing on the rod-tip? Or is that an actual motion that some fish really do? 

In my imagination of the underwater view, while retrieving either bucktails or Kastmasters, I tend to reel semi-slowly to keep it towards the bottom, with occasional twitches of the rod to try to mimic a fish just swimming around and then darting for a food source.  I wonder if a quicker retrieve without hitting that Kastmaster-buzz is better? I only ask because I've never had a bite on any lure I've used, so either they don't match the fish or I'm using them incorrectly. 

Keep on trying  and eventually you will catch on them..You are mimicking bait fish or trespassing in a fishes area and it will attack the lure...Try retrieving at different speed from very slow to very fast ...Good luck with your venture..  Once you catch something on a lure you will be addicted for life....I throw mostly metals anything that shine..

Some lures imitate injured prey. Fish hit it out of instinct . Ex..”crippled herring “. It doesn’t always have to look natural to get bit.  I love fishing with metal. Crocodiles , deadly dicks. Ect.  They don’t really look like anything.. just basic size and shape.  

I was into some stripers years ago when I was first starting and I was using A 27's and I kept losing the fish and losing my lures on the cast. I was baffled and thought maybe my braid was shot. Took my rod to the great guys at Grumpy's and they checked the top guide with a q-tip and I had a crack in the top guide. They fixed it, no more lost lures or fish that afternoon. 

1 hour ago, cityevader said:

It's an oddity. I've lost four Kastmasters so far (two 3/4oz, one 1/2oz, one 1oz) during the cast. The line just breaks mid-flight for some reason. This hasn't happened with similarly weighted bucktails, nor any other rig, just the Kastmasters. (I typically start my surf-fishing-trips using lures, to get a feel for the water's movements, and in general hopes of hooking a large fish, then move on to smaller Carolina rigs for Perch).

FWIW I use a Tactical Angler Clip to the lure, then leader and swivel as usual....and 14-20# braid....and it has always broken above the swivel. 

Odd...very odd.

But my main question is to better understand how to use them. When they are in full motion, they swing quite wildly from side to side and give strong feedback up the line to the rod. But that side-to-side movement is so very pronounced when viewed coming to me in the shallows, that I imagine it doesn't appear natural to swim left/right so hard for any length of time, so should I "never" let it go full tilt buzzing on the rod-tip? Or is that an actual motion that some fish really do? 

In my imagination of the underwater view, while retrieving either bucktails or Kastmasters, I tend to reel semi-slowly to keep it towards the bottom, with occasional twitches of the rod to try to mimic a fish just swimming around and then darting for a food source.  I wonder if a quicker retrieve without hitting that Kastmaster-buzz is better? I only ask because I've never had a bite on any lure I've used, so either they don't match the fish or I'm using them incorrectly. 

I think it's the speed that they can be cast at. The line coming off the reel might grab some loops and pull those into the guides which could slow things down abruptly and snap the line. 

The other thing is you might have abrasion issues somewhere between the reel spool and the rod tip. Check those out. I had a broken line roller that was abading my line and lost a few lures that way. 

The speed of the kastmaster could be exposing the weakness wherever it may be, imho. 

Abrasion...while last night's loss was on a brand new spool of braid on my boy's brand new Ugly Stik, my main rod's line (Fireline) does indeed have lots of fuzz on it; could be abrasion. But man has it cranked in some crazy heavy seaweed, with lure weight nearly double the Kastmaster, and it hasn't broke yet...but i'm dam sure to check the guides tonight!!

It IS due to get new braid, just as soon as I can get to a football field to split a 300yd spool in half. :) 

It’s been alluded to here above. If your main line (which is braid) is breaking off in mid flight, and you just noticed it with the heavier Kastmasters, here’s why: they will easily cast further than any minnow plug (sp minnow, bomber, etc) that you might normally throw. And main line will be traveling much faster. Braided line has ****** abrasion resistance. Any tension against that line during a cast will fray and cut it unless it’s a perfectly smooth surface. So if there’s an imperfection on any of your guides, or your spool has line overlapping itself at points that you don’t normally worry about because you don’t usually cast that far, “snap”. Also, if you have any dings on the top of your spool, smooth them out with some high grit sandpaper 

When I was losing lures the line wasn't fuzzy like old powerpro can get but kind of frizzy. The braid looked ok, not weathered, but when you examined it in the right light you could see strands cut all over the place and sticking out like hair, glinting a bit. 

I bought new rod. Sanded down the lip of my reel spool, before figuring out the broken line roller problem. 

Previously had a kastmaster losing problem but it was windknots then for sure.  

A lot of the new ugly sticks use stainless guides - with no ceramic insert - which will groove very easily under certain conditions.  My guess is that you either have a damaged guide or bluefish are swiping at the bubble trail left by your swivel.  So, if you dont find any cracks or grooves in the guides try connecting your braid to your leader with an albright or alberto knot in place of the swivel.

OH! 

I just remembered that i also lost a 1/2 oz Corolina rig at the end of many hours (4.5hrs?) of casting (the Kastmaster only lasted the rod's virgin, first 10-15 casts) 

This is on the brand new rod's first outing, btw, and i just now felt up the guides with a Qtip and no snags....maybe i'll try a 15x eye loupe for visual issues... 

I don't know if there's such a thing as line forensics, but here's a pic of the break. 

Harvey, are you implying that a line-to-line knot would have more "strain relief" than tying to a swivel? Interesting. 

Would that also reduce the twisting i get from the leader winding itself around the braid? 

Oh! Perhaps (for the Carolina and NOT the Kastmaster break) the braid weakened after multiple twist ups? (i've gotten vastly better at reducing twist ups after realizing that allowing the line to slacken caused it). 

20190730_211603.jpg

The same thing that makes a kastmaster cut through the air for distance is also what makes it sink in the water if you reel it too slow. It's aerodynamic shape doesn't have enough lift for reeling it back slow.

For that you need a spoon that's flatter and more spread out, almost like an oval shape.

Kastmasters have to be retrieved moderately fast or else you'll be dragging the bottom. If you want a slower spoon look elsewhere. 

Adding a bucktail dressed hook might slow the descent and give you the ability to slow it down. Haven't really paid attention to how a dressed hook affects the descent.

12 hours ago, cityevader said:

Abrasion...while last night's loss was on a brand new spool of braid on my boy's brand new Ugly Stik, my main rod's line (Fireline) does indeed have lots of fuzz on it; could be abrasion. But man has it cranked in some crazy heavy seaweed, with lure weight nearly double the Kastmaster, and it hasn't broke yet...but i'm dam sure to check the guides tonight!!

It IS due to get new braid, just as soon as I can get to a football field to split a 300yd spool in half. :) 

Fuzzy Fireline is perfect. That’s when you know it’s broken in and at its best. ;)

I'm guessing that your line is being compromised somehow and the fact that it seems to be breaking off with Kastmasters is more coincidental and misleading. The idea that EB mentioned about  bluefish may be swiping at your swivel  is another reasonable explanation. I would go over your guides carefully and maybe try no swivel. As far as using Kastmasters, they can be super lures at times. 90% of the time a slow to medium retrieve where the lure is gently swinging back and forth is all you need to connect. There are times when jigging them or a ripstop retrieve can catch but honestly those times are few and far between IMO. Play around with sizes and trailers .  I have taken some large fish on small tins over the years. If you tie your own trailers, single hooks with long sparsely ties hackles twice the length of the tin itself have been good to me for decades. Not only does it change the profile of the lure but it tames the action a bit too. 

I usually retrieve Kastmasters with a long sweep of the rod and then take in the slack. Alternatively, I will reel moderately fast and stop for a 3 count and let the lure fall, then start the retrieve again. Then I vary the retrieve speed and duration of the fall until I start catching. Sometimes it is very herky jerky and sometimes slow and smooth that works. 

Only occasionally do I use a strait retrieve, but that me be because it is boring.

What works well on one outing outing may not work well on the next, so I usually go through this process each time I tie on a Kastmaster.