Bob's Banger - Hook Advice Needed

Rate this topic

BromBones

I'm looking for a hook to tie some Bob's Bangers with 5/8 and 3/4 Inch foam.   In the past I've used Mustad 34011 (2XH / 4XL) in size 2/0 for 1/2 inch foam and that worked great.  These hooks only go up to 3/0.  Does' anyone have any recommendations for a hook to tie a 3/4 Inch popper on?  Looking for a 4/0 or possible 5/0 in 4X in length.  Thx! 

I've been using Gamakatsu SP!! 3L3H 3/0.The shank length eye tip to bend is 1/1/2" and the gape is 5/8".Poking through the foam on the bottom 3rd of the foam.The foam length is appx.5/8-3/4" it could be much longer if you want.Just a thought.

21 hours ago, BromBones said:

I'm looking for a hook to tie some Bob's Bangers with 5/8 and 3/4 Inch foam.   In the past I've used Mustad 34011 (2XH / 4XL) in size 2/0 for 1/2 inch foam and that worked great.  These hooks only go up to 3/0.  Does' anyone have any recommendations for a hook to tie a 3/4 Inch popper on?  Looking for a 4/0 or possible 5/0 in 4X in length.  Thx! 

Take a look at the Partridge Universal Predator hook which comes in big sizes up to #8/0. Shorter and lighter than the Mustad 34011 but with a much  wider gap (a#4/0 has a 3/4" gap).

6 hours ago, theshadow said:

I've been using Gamakatsu SP!! 3L3H 3/0.The shank length eye tip to bend is 1/1/2" and the gape is 5/8".Poking through the foam on the bottom 3rd of the foam.The foam length is appx.5/8-3/4" it could be much longer if you want.Just a thought.

Thanks for the recommendation, but I used that hook with the 5/8 diameter foam and didn't like the gap or length.  I was looking for something 4X long and preferably a wider gap to provide a little more clearance.  I have lost more fish than I have landed on Bangers, presumably due to the foam getting in the way of the hook point. 

5 hours ago, Suave said:

Take a look at the Partridge Universal Predator hook which comes in big sizes up to #8/0. Shorter and lighter than the Mustad 34011 but with a much  wider gap (a#4/0 has a 3/4" gap).

I tried using a  Patridge Predator 6/0 as well, but don't like the length on the shank.  Thanks for the recommendation though.   

Since I started this thread, I feel obligated to post the below link on the off chance someone else stumbles upon it with the same dilema.  The answer I needed was found there, including advice from The Man, Bob Pop himself.  Thx again to Shadow and Suave for the advice.